• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

erucsbo

Explorer
I had a lantern archon appear in E, which got killed by the assassin in the party who thought it was a Will-o-wisp which led to a big split and lots of in party fighting.
Had Vrisht appear outside the Tomb (Region N) as noted, had another appear in K to lead the party to the Garrison in G and out again.
Had them pop up from time to time requesting reports from the garrison members in the party and letting the party know what the garrison had been doing in other areas of the dungeon (those areas that the party were now too high level to go through) - gave them a sense of the repercussions of them helping the garrison in the first place and how that enabled the garrison to get the upper hand in other areas.

erucsbo

Explorer
Now that we have finished the WLD I am able to be a player instead of DM and am playing the paladin NPC that I had in the WLD (at various times with the party and at other times apart from them).
After a battle where she took out 5 very powerful spectres in 1 round all I can say is that Paladin with high Cha + Sun Blade => carnage to evil undead. She might not be quite as good as the straight fighter in normal melee, but she cuts through evil undead like a scythe through ripe wheat :D

I'm just glad she was not with the party during the majority of their time in the tomb or I never would have heard the end of "Gandalf" references.
Any doubts I had of a paladin with high Cha, darkvision and a sun blade being able to survive by herself in Region N (and causing a LOT of grief to the locals) is definitely gone. Be warned if you are still going through this monster that should you have a character like this in your party, the only thing that is likely to stop them in the tomb is the other party members.:heh:

Traevanon

First Post
Moved on

Our group closed this out quite a while ago and we're now on to Pathfinder, but I wouldnt rule out coming back someday.

Possible Campaign Names?
Return to the WLD
Bride of the WLD
WLD: the prequil

How about this?

You come upon what appears to be stairs going down.

"How can this be? There have never been any stairs before. Actually there havent even been that many slopes. Come to think of it it really seems like a law of this place.... one giant dungeon level."

At the bottom of thirty steep stone steps is a heavy black door with a piece of parchment tacked into the wall next to it. It is written in several languages, and says...

"Worlds Largest Dungeon, Level 2"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Right at that moment you awaken, you are in your bedroll, your companions are all asleep nearby, except for the watch. Tomorrow you take on what you believe will be your last task in this forsaken place. Or maybe your nightmare will come true...

erucsbo

Explorer
At the bottom of thirty steep stone steps is a heavy black door with a piece of parchment tacked into the wall next to it. It is written in several languages, and says...

"Worlds Largest Dungeon, Level 2"
:devil: I would be lynched if I tried that with my group.

I reckon I could probably get by doing F or D as a one-shot (since my players skipped those sections) but any mention of "World's Largest anything" would probably see me getting hog-tied and pelted with d4s.

Enjoying being a player for now though, so the temptation isn't there :angel:;)

Hussar

Legend
I gotta admit, I'd love to take a second swipe at this thing.

I'd REALLY love to be a player, but, I'd like to take a second try.

If I did though, it would be a MASSIVE amount of work. I'd want to update it to 4e for one. I wonder if you could do the same premise? All the monsters in the Monster Manual and nothing else. Might be fun. Although, I suspect I'd be reskinning a lot of critters. Plus, I'd want to do a bit of art training and build my own maps.

Probably going to remain firmly in the place of dreams for some time to come. :)

gilthan3

First Post
Going to be running my guys and gals thru WLD in about a month. Right now I'm working on the prep for the game while they finish up my rehashed Dragon Mountain campaign.

Erucsbo was nice enough to email me the maps that he did that aren't on the website, thanks again man.

I do have a question. We run our games in 3.0 with a few modified house rules:(Haste/heal/harm all work off 3.5 rules, Nat armor is fixed,etc)

Running WLD in 3.0, where do you think this might produce a few problems? That way I can plan ahead for such things. Are there monsters/loot/ traps that might need some serious adjusting? Any input is appreciated.

erucsbo

Explorer
no idea about 3.0 - we ran through with straight 3.5.
Some issues we found - Sunder sucks (with the giants) - it can screw your fighters big-time.
A large party (6+) has a much greater chance of taking down a single big monster than the EL would otherwise indicate, likewise swarms and lots of small monsters attacking the party can be more challenging than you might think (Rasts).
Give consideration to wizards being able to find spells - there are very few spell books in the WLD.
Some parts of the dungeon will be boring for players - depending on your group.
Mine liked to hit things, so I made sure they didn't get to H.
Empty rooms became boring as well - if they aren't motivated by the main plot point and instead want to check everything then they are going to get bored and will have more encounters than they should per level.
You should get a good feel for how most of the sections played out from reading through the thread (I know it is LOOONG read), and use the extra material jim and Jim posted for E and I if your party goes that way.

Bathnor

First Post
Still Going here...

I'm still running the WLD as a gesalt campaign set in the Realms. Mainly used 3.5e with some house rules for fun. Players have finished A,B,C,E,G and have done some of F,H,K and I.

They have vowed never to return to the Maze. They had a couple of nasty fights with some Minotaur Barb/Scouts. They then got hit by the level drain ability by the warp doors. Never again they say ... >:)

They have killed the Demon General in the force dome. Thay have also killed the hags and the fallen angel. Some Hags have escaped to the shallows to the north.

They like the idea of the elven fortress underground. That is until they were arrested. They havn't figured out whats going on yet though.

The party consists of a Moon Elf Bard 11/Ranger11, Shield Dwarf Cleric 11/Fighter 6 Dwarf Defender 5, Shield Dwarf Druid 11/Cleric11, Minotaur Barbarian 11/Cleric 11, and finally an Ogre Fighter11/Thief 11.

There's been plenty of deaths so far but fortunatly no TPK's. The Dwarven Druid and the Minotaur will be new characters this week. There's going to be a lot of clerics now. Did any one else have this happen to their group?Last week they lost their characters to a pair of Bodaks in G. They also lost a character recently when they went looking for the hags in the Shallows and was attacked by the green dragon :).

I'm going to have the Celestials kill the Undead Lord in G as he is the only force left, and they've spent a lot of time on this arc.

Remove ads