• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon order of traversal?

jkint

First Post
The World's Largest Dungeon is divided up into 16 regions, though multiple regions are for the same levels (Region B and Region E are both designed for levels 4-6). Though it doesn't state anything that I saw explicitly, what do you do to prevent a group just finished with a higher level region from proceeding into a lower level region and easily wiping it out? Do you just close off that region or do you scale up the region? I didn't see AEG's recommendations on this in the introduction. Just looking for some advice.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'd say it depends on how you are introducing them to the dungeon. If you are starting at a higher level, just remove the passages to the lower levels (don't have them exist).

Alternatively (although it's a bit cheesey), when they go down one of the corridors to the lower level area, just have them teleported to the opposite side of the map that leads to a more difficult area.

You may also want to check out this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100030 for more hints on running the dungeon, although be advised that this is a very long thread.

(Oh, and welcome to the boards, by the way. :) )

Last edited:

spacecrime.com

First Post
The only place where that's gotten sticky for me is Region F. The party had a tough time there, and what little they knew of Region G scared the bejeezus out of them. They were all for heading into Section E and an easier challenge.

What most of them didn't realize was, of course, was that with the party around 9th level it was going to be much too easy. I didn't want to get heavy-handed about steering them away, but I was sweating. I did explain the layout of the dungeon to them, and one of the players correctly deduced that Region E was roughly equivalent to Region B, and pointed out to the other players that they'd get bored. They ultimately went for Region G, and are currently going through absolute hell. :)

While looking at my options, I did decide the Region E was manageable. The "border" encounters are close enough in challenge rating to be at least interesting, which is a nice feature throughout the dungeon. The map layout also made it likely that I could subtly steer them up into Region I, which would be a reasonable (and creepy) challenge for them. Finally, you've got the "how to upgrade" listings in every encounter, which I would have used if they'd been hell-bent on going deep into Region E. Overall, not that big a problem, and yet another reason I Like This Dungeon.

(For what it's worth, the party's path so far has been: A, brief trip to E followed by fleeing in terror, B, C, back through B up to a nose-bloodying war with the two tribes in F, now off to G where the ladies are giving the PCs what-for.)

cheers,

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads