• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Not that I'll be there, unfortunately, but are you running a sample of it at Gen Con? I'd love to hear how it was received by the attendees.

jim pinto

First Post
DaveMage said:
Not that I'll be there, unfortunately, but are you running a sample of it at Gen Con? I'd love to hear how it was received by the attendees.

While nothing is in stone, it's very possible we'll have something at the booth. At the very least, the entire map will be up and I'll be there to "walk" people through it and say, "Okay, now in this Room, Timmy has fallen into a well and the PCs must defeat the 16 Hezrou demons to get him out."

Since the map is over 6 feet tall, there's a lot to "point out".

Peace

I have read the entire thread, so forgive me if this question has been asked and I missed it.

I have noticed in many 3.0 and 3.5 modules I have run that the party ends up with far less money and treasure than the DMG suggests. Are you using the treasure tables from the DMG or some semblance thereof?

jim pinto

First Post
Beard in the Sky said:
I have read the entire thread, so forgive me if this question has been asked and I missed it.

I have noticed in many 3.0 and 3.5 modules I have run that the party ends up with far less money and treasure than the DMG suggests. Are you using the treasure tables from the DMG or some semblance thereof?

While I can't speak for other designers, the reason published modules don't match the DMG, is because the DMG's numbers are really high and I for one disagree with the rate of exchange.

That said, an adventure with 1,612 encounters MUST set a differrent standard. DMs of course can alter things as they see fit, but we've trimmed the encounters back, so people aren't throwing away +3 swords 1/4th the way through the dungeon.

In all honesty, we probably could have put more potions and trinkets in the dungeon and I intend to write up something for our website (and this one) as soon as the book is in my hands, to give DMs a helping hand in this. But, my experience with 3.0 and 3.5 puts lots of healing into the hands of clerics.

I'm sure everyone will approach the product differently, because their gaming tastes are much different than mine. However, I believe that our approach and my edits show a dungeon full of rough/challenging encounters that PCs will not be able to waltz through with a few "secret" magic items. So, whether we gave them to you or not, the dungeon will hopefully be a useful tool for DMs and PCs, whether we give out a lot of treasure or not.

Gah. Sometimes I feel like a politician answering questions on here. You never know what answer people are going to have an adverse reaction to, so you just ramble in the hopes of giving a vanilla response that doesn't offend anyone.

Haha.

Your question was simple and my answer should be too.

Are we using the table from the DMG to determine treasure?

No.

But, the reasons are complex and mentioned above. I hope I've answered your question without being a complete ditz about it.

Peace.

btw

The book is at the printer and I should have a copy in my hand in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Thanks for the quick reply Jim; it speaks volumes about you that you are willing to continue to field all these questions while dealing with the stress of a deadline.

jim pinto

First Post
Beard in the Sky said:
Thanks for the quick reply Jim; it speaks volumes about you that you are willing to continue to field all these questions while dealing with the stress of a deadline.

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't like compliments, but I'm trying to learn to accept them. So thank you.

I've always had an open door policy about everything, so I'll be online answering questions once or twice a day, so long as people have them.

At this point, I'm really excited about the book and I think I've said about as much as I can about it.

It's huge. Even if you don't use the whole thing, $100 for even 6 months of gaming is a bargain. Unless of course it stinks.

:)

Inquest magazine, Lotus Noir, Undefeated, and a host of others are all going to have previews of the dungeon (some with maps) that I didn't post on here. So if people look for the August/September/October releases of these mags, there might be something in there.

But, I could be wrong about the specific months and magazines.

Anyway. If anyone has anymore concerns, drop a line.

Otherwise, I'll see you at Gencon, ready to sign your character sheets.

Hahaha.

jim pinto

First Post
almost there... almost there....

I have an unbound copy of the book right now.
Its printed on that slick paper from spycraft rpg
and its 840-pages of pure dungeon-crawling excitement.

And its HUGE.

Once it has a hardbound cover this thing is going to weigh
about 6 pounds.

Its heavier than a kitten.

Shipping this thing is going to hurt.

Anyway. I hope to have more news soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads