• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worlds of Design: Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs

You can write a set of fantasy role-playing game (FRPG) rules without specifying a setting, but there’s a default or baseline setting assumed by virtually everyone when no setting is specified. Moreover, some rules (e.g. the existence of plate armor, and large horses) imply things about technology and breeding in the setting.

You can write a set of fantasy role-playing game (FRPG) rules without specifying a setting, but there’s a default setting assumed by virtually every FRPG. Moreover, some rules (e.g. the existence of plate armor, and large horses) imply things about technology and breeding in the setting.

fantasybasics.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

The Basics of FRPG​

All FRPGs start with some assumptions built into the setting, some of them so innocuous that gamers might not even realize they're assumptions to begin with. For example the assumption that there are horses large enough to be ridden, even though for thousands of years of history, horses weren’t large enough for riding (the era of war chariots from about 1700-1000 BCE, and the era before that of infantry only).

Familiarity vs. strangeness is an important question for any worldbuilder to answer. What are gamers familiar with? That tends to be the default. J. R. R. Tolkien’s works (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, etc.) are nearly a default setting for many, as in the dwarves and elves who are quite different from traditional stories of dwarves and elves. You could argue that the default setting is more Tolkien than it is medieval European, but he largely adopted Late Medieval European (1250-1500), so I prefer to refer to that.

The question is, do you want your ruleset, or your campaign setting, to follow the default? An early example of great deviation from the default was the wonderfully different world of Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne, and a few novels). A “different” FRPG might posit no monsters at all, perhaps not even elves and dwarves, just a lot of humans, yet never explicitly say so: if you leave out rules for monsters and humanoid races other than humans, you have a different-than-baseline setting, even if you didn't consciously make that decision. But be warned: too much unfamiliarity may make some players uncomfortable.

Are there baseline assumptions for science fiction? There seems to be so much variety, I wouldn’t try to pin it down.

The Baseline

What ARE the baseline assumptions? In general, they are mostly late medieval (not “Dark Ages” (500-1000) or High Medieval (1000-1250), as FRPGs tend to be magic grafted to later medieval Europe. In no particular order here is a list of categories for baseline assumptions that I’ll discuss specifically:
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • State of Political Entities
  • Commonality of Magic
  • Commonality of Adventurers
  • Commonality of Monsters
  • Length of History and Rate of Change
  • Level of Technology
  • Warfare and the Military
  • Religion
  • Demography
  • Climate

Transportation

Wooden sailing vessels, late medieval style. In calm waters such as landlocked seas and lakes, galleys; in wild waters (such as oceans), small sailing vessels. River barges much preferable to poor roads and carts. And are there wonderful roads left by or maintained by an Empire (Rome)? See "Medieval Travel & Scale."

Communication

Proceeds at the rate of travel, by horse or by ship. In other words, very slow by modern standards. Even as late as 1815, the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the War of 1812 had ended (in 1814), but before news of the treaty had reached Louisiana from Europe.

State of Political Entities

Monarchies and lower level independent states (such as Duchies) ruled by “the man in charge” (very rarely, a woman). Nobles. States, not nations (the people rarely care which individual is actually in charge). Castles are so defensible that it’s fairly easy for subordinate nobles to defy their superiors. There are small cities (5-10,000 usually), not really large ones (over 100,000 people).

Commonality of Magic

Magicians are usually rare, secretive folk. Few people ever see any manifestation of magic. In some cases the church or the government tries to suppress magic. See "The Four Stages of Magic."

Commonality of Adventurers

Magicians, knights, powerful clerics, all are rare. 1 in 500 people? 1 in 10,000?

Commonality of Monsters

Human-centric. Monsters are usually individuals rather than large groups. Intelligent monsters are rare. (Here Tolkien’s influence, the great orc/goblin hordes, often overrides European influence.) Undead may be common. Dragons are “legendary.”

Length of History and Rate of Change

Slow pace of change of technology. Awareness of the greater days of a “universal empire” in the past (such as Rome), now gone. Technology changed much faster in late medieval times, than in Tolkien’s Middle-earth.

Level of Technology

Late medieval, or possibly less. (Late medieval for the technology necessary to make full plate armor, if nothing else.) See "When Technology Changes the Game."

Warfare and the Military

Wars rarely changed borders much (Late Medieval) - the great migrations have ended. Wars certainly aren’t national wars, the common people are spectators. See "The Fundamental Patterns of War."

Religion

What we’re used to in later medieval times is a universal monotheistic church (Catholicism), though with foreign churches of different stripe (Orthodox Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist). But in games, more often the setting seems to derive from older, pantheon-based, religions.

Demography

Density of population is low. Depends on whether the local area is frontier or settled. Cities are population sinks (high mortality rates). There may be stories of a Great Plague (later-1340s and onward in Europe).

Climate

Temperate medieval European (more often, English (governed by the Gulf Stream)), with fairly cool summers so that full armor is not impossibly hot. (Imagine wearing full armor when the average summer high is 91 degrees F, as in northern Florida.) But winters are much less severe than in the northern USA. (Modern European climate is currently getting much warmer than in late medieval times.)

Your Turn: Do you see the default setting as different that what I’ve summarized?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Argyle King

Legend
My assumptions depend upon which setting I'm running. I didn't spell everything out in these responses; these are more just general descriptions.

1) My default preferences are a world which is more influenced by Arthurian fantasy, R. Howard, Lloyd Alexander, and some of the grittier parts of Chronicles of Narnia than Tolkien but still with touches of fantasy races and such. D&D 4th Edition's Points of Light concept was something I liked, but I prefer taking that in more of a sword & sorcery or slightly low-fantasy direction rather than the high-fantasy mythic super hero style of 4E. Despite my earlier statement, my idealized version of what a powerful dragon is like is based upon Smaug.

2) For the Dungeon Fantasy-inspired game I run in GURPS, I went with something similar to the Ptolus concept of a town built on a dungeon complex. The easiest way to describe it is as the 1850s San Francisco Gold Rush, but with Dungeon Delving as the main industry around which the town's economy is based.

The rest of the world has been slowly fleshed out as earlier players had character backgrounds to color in blank parts of the map. So, the setting is a mish-mash of inspiration from various things popular with the group, the bare bones background I had the start a campaign around a location, and editorial changes (I) deemed necessary to make various pieces fit together in a somewhat coherent manner.

Common races include humans from cliche fantasy cultures (i.e. barbaric north, backwater medieval-ish kingdoms at war, and vaguely Egyptian-inspired desert place); semi-Nomadic minotaurs loosely based on Mass Effect Krogan culture; 2 types of dwarves: Jade (with a mix of real-world Asian culture and D&D dwarf mythology) and Stone (based upon Grecco-Roman culture and Dragon Age Dwarven ancestor worship); wood-Elves; and Woem (halfling-sized catfolk).

Commonly known divine beings and religions involve Thor, Santa, Cthulu, Aslan, Aphrodite (Dwarven Goddess/Ancestor of Beauty,) Tarrasque, Tlaloc, Lich (undead, but not the lord of undead,) and Aganju.

Despite changes to lore and racial assumptions, this game would likely be the most similar to what people would (I assume) expect from a default kitchen sink D&D setting. The main differences would be that vampires have a weakness to peppermint, humans aren't the dominant culture in many areas of the world, and large parts of the world are still unexplored & wild.

The climate is temperate. The commonality of adventurers inside the main city is high (with guilds and businesses being specifically geared toward delving into the dungeons below the city). Technology is late medieval, but with advanced medical knowledge (bolstered by magic). The Stone Dwarves have advanced transportation technology, pushed by their love of chariot races.

3) For the next D&D 5E game, I would categorize the setting as science-fantasy because a lot of the setting mimics sci-fi tropes, but with fantasy trappings. The starting location is a city built on top of a gargantuan mushroom. The mushroom was grown (at some point before the start of the campaign) by a group of powerful druids to escape a cataclysm which made most of the ground level world polluted and uninhabited. Inspirations include He-Man, Fallout, Thundarr the Barbarian, and Star Wars.

Communication between different settlements (on other mushrooms) is possible but slow -usually relying on word-of-mouth from travelers arriving on flying ships. I haven't yet sketched out much else about the setting. The rough vision in my head is analogous to idealized visions of Mediterranean island towns during the Golden Age of Sail, but with the water being replaced by a hazardous cloud of pollution and death. Then, dump a little bit of a Star Wars cantina vibe (but with fantasy races and magic rather than aliens and tech) over the whole thing.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
You can write a set of fantasy role-playing game (FRPG) rules without specifying a setting, but there’s a default setting assumed by virtually every FRPG. Moreover, some rules (e.g. the existence of plate armor, and large horses) imply things about technology and breeding in the setting.

The Basics of FRPG​

All FRPGs start with some assumptions built into the setting, some of them so innocuous that gamers might not even realize they're assumptions to begin with. For example the assumption that there are horses large enough to be ridden, even though for thousands of years of history, horses weren’t large enough for riding (the era of war chariots from about 1700-1000 BCE, and the era before that of infantry only).

Familiarity vs. strangeness is an important question for any worldbuilder to answer. What are gamers familiar with? That tends to be the default. J. R. R. Tolkien’s works (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, etc.) are nearly a default setting for many, as in the dwarves and elves who are quite different from traditional stories of dwarves and elves. You could argue that the default setting is more Tolkien than it is medieval European, but he largely adopted Late Medieval European (1250-1500), so I prefer to refer to that.

The question is, do you want your ruleset, or your campaign setting, to follow the default? An early example of great deviation from the default was the wonderfully different world of Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne, and a few novels). A “different” FRPG might posit no monsters at all, perhaps not even elves and dwarves, just a lot of humans, yet never explicitly say so: if you leave out rules for monsters and humanoid races other than humans, you have a different-than-baseline setting, even if you didn't consciously make that decision. But be warned: too much unfamiliarity may make some players uncomfortable.

Are there baseline assumptions for science fiction? There seems to be so much variety, I wouldn’t try to pin it down.

The Baseline

What ARE the baseline assumptions? In general, they are mostly late medieval (not “Dark Ages” (500-1000) or High Medieval (1000-1250), as FRPGs tend to be magic grafted to later medieval Europe. In no particular order here is a list of categories for baseline assumptions that I’ll discuss specifically:
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • State of Political Entities
  • Commonality of Magic
  • Commonality of Adventurers
  • Commonality of Monsters
  • Length of History and Rate of Change
  • Level of Technology
  • Warfare and the Military
  • Religion
  • Demography
  • Climate

Your Turn: Do you see the default setting as different that what I’ve summarized?
I don't know the answer for late medieval; but I might add another item: Literacy and Education ranges. Modern age in a Western country is "mostly literate" while for the period you are referring too, probably "literate elites" or something.

Some solid bullet points for what is typical. Settings either play into them or purposefully fight against them. I would add one more

Most cultures are singular in species and most are human.
You will get Dwarven nations and Elven Lands and "Here dwell Goblins", but humanity is the dominant race and the most culturally diverse. I would love to see a game setting where all the non-human nations combined were not still less than the number of human ones.

Chaosmancer

Legend
A simple observation like that can spark a campaign point: halflings rule the plains because they're the only race small enough to ride horses; there they war against the goblin wolf-riders. And didn't cavalry long pre-date horses thanks to camels and elephants?

Huh... that actually makes a ton of sense.

I've been meaning to delve into the Eberron lore to try and figure out why the Talenta Halflings have this strong reputation of being the most terrifying of warriors, but this explanation could be it. They have a long, long history of being on the of the few mounted forces in the world.

Additionally, they were one of the few air forces, with Pteradons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some solid bullet points for what is typical. Settings either play into them or purposefully fight against them. I would add one more

You will get Dwarven nations and Elven Lands and "Here dwell Goblins", but humanity is the dominant race and the most culturally diverse. I would love to see a game setting where all the non-human nations combined were not still less than the number of human ones.

Agreed, I like trying to expand out to figuring how other races would rule, instead of it all being humans all the time.

Remathilis

Legend
I love how Eberron flips each of these.

• Transportation - airships, lightning rail, elemental galleons for rapid travel
  • Communication - speaking stone telegraphs, gargoyle couriers in Sharn
  • State of Political Entities - a theocracy, magocracy, and autocracy exist alongside traditional monarchy
  • Commonality of Magic - OH YES!
  • Commonality of Adventurers - OH YES!
  • Commonality of Monsters - there are three nations "ruled" but them!
  • Length of History and Rate of Change - when you fight a war for 100 years, things change
  • Level of Technology - magic has outpaced tech to the point it's replacing it.
  • Warfare and the Military - 100 years of war spurred lots of new weapons, warforged being the prime example
  • Religion - a variety of different faiths, with non-introventialist deities
  • Demography - the war has rapidly depopulated areas, by massive cities like Sharn are still full
  • Climate - varies, Khorvaire ranges from temperate to subtropical, similar to the USA.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm not sure that there's a default setting anymore. You could say that D&D's setting(s) is "default," if you mean "most used amongst role-players." In that case...

If you look at published content from WotC and Paizo from the last 5 or 10 years, the presumed tech and social level of D&D seems more 16th or even 17th century now, instead of medieval. Communities are presented as being affluent, literate, urban, with highly sophisticated and developed governments and infrastructure. You see it in trappings like tricorn hats, elegant carriages, masked balls, universities, tall sailed ships, and the more common appearance of firearms.

This trend seems to match a trend in fantasy fiction towards urban fantasy, and more modern-feeling settings and societies. It seems gritty, early medieval settings aren’t what today’s audiences are looking for. I suppose worlds where impoverished and illiterate peasants toil under the yoke of their feudal lords in towns where the world more than 20 miles away is shrouded in mystery are too dark, unfamiliar, or alienating.
Yeah, somehow the default setting is well past medieval. I don't know why today's audiences wouldn't look for gritty - "illiterate peasants toil under the yoke of their feudal lords" kind of speaks to the times.

I'm pretty sure D&D is going to move away from this, if it hasn't already. It's hard to have a dominant race when everyone (non-monsters) is sexually and racially egalitarian.

Arilyn

Hero
The presence of magic, even if rare and a god or gods intervening changes everything. Medieval Europe with actual spellcasters is not going to look like the historical time period. In fact, we wouldn't even have our Medieval period, because presumably magic was always there.

What would our world look like if humanity's early beliefs about how the world worked were true? What if magic gave us the tools to shape our lives way earlier than science did?

BookTenTiger

He / Him

I've been thinking a LOT about this assumption, and if it is necessary in my campaigns. How can I portray cultures that are as easily understood as archetypical "Elf magic forest city" or "underground dwarf mining city" but contain a diversity of races?

I think it means using more things like banners, language, religion, tools, etc to define the different cultures than just race. My suspicion is that it would make for a more interesting campaign world!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've been thinking a LOT about this assumption, and if it is necessary in my campaigns. How can I portray cultures that are as easily understood as archetypical "Elf magic forest city" or "underground dwarf mining city" but contain a diversity of races?

I think it means using more things like banners, language, religion, tools, etc to define the different cultures than just race. My suspicion is that it would make for a more interesting campaign world!

I like to have PCs encounter the unexpected like when they are heading through the forest and come across towns like Tømmerbruk which is occupied by a clan of Dwarf Zerhackers (Lumberjacks) who provide the timber and fuel that other dwarf clans use to build their mines (They are also closely allied with the human druidess who they found lost in the forest as a young girl.)

Zerhackers arent necessarily a different dwarf culture though, theyre just showcase a different approach to their society. They are still industrious short and bearded but they had no forges and instead were master carvers and wood turners who used axes, tomahawks and bows. They also had a good number of Rangers and druids

Remove ads

Remove ads