• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Continuity

Which universe has the worst continuity problems?

stevelabny

Explorer
Star Trek - I'm not a die-hard Trekkie, but I've seen just about every episode of every TV show, and every movie. Haven't read the novels. While I'm sure inconsistencies pop up, they pretty much went out of their way to write the new movie INTO continuity even though its a reboot.

Star Wars - Prequels sucking does not equal continuity errors. There's enough time between trilogies to explain away minor inconsistencies. The cartoons and the expanded universe novels and comics that have been declared "official" are also pretty well controlled. Why would you seriously count the Christmas Special?

Highlander - I really don't get you guys and your Highlander fascination. I had never watched it when it came out, and when I finally saw it a few years back, I thought it was a terrible terrible movie. And that was the FIRST one. I can only imagine how bad the second one is, that EVERYONE hates it so much. Even if these abominations are riddled with continuity errors, this franchise is so low on the pop-culture scale of relevance that it shouldn't win this poll.

Terminator - The continuity editor for T3 (hahaha) made an oopsie on the T2 dates, which screwed up John's age, but the time-travel nature of the story fixes most other problems. Simply a story of fate vs ability to control your own destiny. T2 "averted" Judgment Day, T3 said you could change the details, but that you can't change Judgment Day. The TV show was well on its way to creating problems, and will never be resolved. T4 was a pointless mess, and the biggest problem is just that John acts like he never met a friendly Terminator before. This could also just be a problem with Christian Bale, who's a disaster in almost every movie he touches.

Transformers - The cartoon made sense to me. The movie is a separate continuity, and should not be watched by anyone. The same way that every TV show or movie based on the comic book universes below has to be treated as its own continuity.

Fallout - Didn't finish 1 or play 2. But pretty sure that they take place in different parts of the same Wasteland. Things will be slightly different from place to place. The problem with this series might actually be that the games are too much alike.

Traveller - I know this is a D&D board, but this is too obscure.

Doctor Who - Can't really comment, but like someone said above, isn't this explained away with each new doctor / new series being the newest reincarnation of the Doctor?

DC Universe - They've been around for 80 years. And if you read the whole thing it could be a big mess. However, the first Crisis specifically rebooted the Universe, and would have been fine except that editorially control immediately after was sloppy. Byrne wrote out Superboy, and then the Legion had to adjust, etc etc. They went back to the well with Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis's Superboy-Prime continuity punch. Still refuse to acknowledge the problem of Bruce Wayne. Need to kill him for real, but keep pussyfooting around it, and now they've given him a clearly fake death. As long as he's stuck in his 30s, Nightwing and Tim and the entire rest of the DCU can't grow and we're stuck in the Peanuts / Archie universe of no character evolution and zero drama. BUT at least they bothered to hit a reset button twice to wipe away the most glaring of problems.

Marvel - Never bothered to hit a reset button. Just keeps changing character's ages, and wiping out major parts of their lives on a whim, without any cause for concern. Since the early years of the Marvel universe and the high points since them have actually had the characters aging/evolving, their picking up the same "our characters are icons, we can't really do anything with them" nonsense as DC is ridiculous. Peter Parker is their Bruce Wayne, and making him not a dad, not a teacher and not married, so he's more appealing to these imaginary children reading comic books is insane.

Sure, explaining the 80 years of the DC Universe might be tougher than the 45 years of the Marvel Universe, but since DC has at least TRIED to address this issue, Marvel is your big winner. Or loser. Whichever.

Dire Bare

Legend
Highlander - I really don't get you guys and your Highlander fascination. I had never watched it when it came out, and when I finally saw it a few years back, I thought it was a terrible terrible movie. And that was the FIRST one. I can only imagine how bad the second one is, that EVERYONE hates it so much. Even if these abominations are riddled with continuity errors, this franchise is so low on the pop-culture scale of relevance that it shouldn't win this poll.

Not everybody loves Highlander, of course, but it is undeniably considered a classic in the geek canon of movies. Go to any gathering of geeks and shout out, "There can be only ONE!!!" and it's a fair bet 99% will get the reference and chuckle in fond memory. And it's why many of us get pissed off when even seeing references to Highlander 2, 3, 4, etc . . . I actually liked the third one and the TV series, but just about everything in the franchise after the first movie is utter trash. It's like a curse or something . . .

Doctor Who - Can't really comment, but like someone said above, isn't this explained away with each new doctor / new series being the newest reincarnation of the Doctor?

Not a Doctor Who fanatic, but I've watched enough to grok how it works. Doctor Who goes through many incarnations, but at the core it is one character and one universe. So, in a way, it should be consistent. But a show that has been running that long with so many writers, directors, and actors being involved . . . not to mention the show itself is all about alternate dimensions and time travel . . . I don't see how it could be possibly consistent over the years. It's a concept that begs for canon snarl . . .

DC Universe - They've been around for 80 years. And if you read the whole thing it could be a big mess. However, the first Crisis specifically rebooted the Universe, and would have been fine except that editorially control immediately after was sloppy. Byrne wrote out Superboy, and then the Legion had to adjust, etc etc. They went back to the well with Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis's Superboy-Prime continuity punch. Still refuse to acknowledge the problem of Bruce Wayne. Need to kill him for real, but keep pussyfooting around it, and now they've given him a clearly fake death. As long as he's stuck in his 30s, Nightwing and Tim and the entire rest of the DCU can't grow and we're stuck in the Peanuts / Archie universe of no character evolution and zero drama. BUT at least they bothered to hit a reset button twice to wipe away the most glaring of problems.

I guess long-running comic franchises suffer a similar problem to Doctor Who. Is there any human being who could possibly keep it all consistent?

But I still find it an aspect of comics that bugs me. It's why I never collected as a kid and why now I restrict myself to the tv/movie versions and the occasional graphic novel.

But when your major story events are all about unraveling incredibly snarled consistency (all the Crisis events), there's a problem. I got a good chuckle when reading about the "3 Legions" storyline, where all the various incarnations of the Legion of Heroes gets to fight all the various incarnations of their enemies.

I'd be happier if DC and Marvel just threw out the whole idea of canon and consistency altogether. The major characters are so iconic and mythic at this point anyway . . .

Orius

Legend
Phase II is not a fan production, but rather was a planned TV series that would have been a sequel to the original series with the original cast (or most of them, at least). It obviously didn't happen, but many of its ideas were recycled into the first Star Trek movie.

Actually the Phase II I which I belive the OP is referring to is AKA Star Trek: New Voyages which is now being called Phase II. I'm aware of the original Phase II, it didn't just get recycled into TMP, but some of the scripts were dusted off and rewritten for TNG, particularly during Season 2 when the actors strike delayed the beginning of the season.

I actually liked the third one and the TV series, but just about everything in the franchise after the first movie is utter trash. It's like a curse or something . . .

I'm pretty much a fan of the series, and I think a TV series was probably a better way of exploring the whole premise. There's just so much more history that can be explored through a TV series than a 2-hour film.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Star Wars may not have huge continuity problems. The biggest overall problem to continuity was Lucas' decision to make the Jedi a celibate order in the prequels. This contradicts some earlier EU material which assumed the Jedi had families, since there was no hint in Jedi that Luke and Leia were the result of a forbidden relationship. There might be a few other small details, but otherwise not a big problem, largely because the prequel era was originally off-limits until all the movies were released. Now the EU may have many more errors given the sheer amount of material but I don't think overall continuity is badly compromised.

Wait, they were supposed to be celibate!?!? I thought they were just not allowed to be in any emotional relationships to others, and thus were allowed to have casual emotionally cold and distant "for reproduction only" (with the child being sent off to a distant orphanage on Tatooine) one night stand.

Definitely Star Trek.

Bye
Thanee
Yes, I agree here.

A lot of the continuity problems come from events that were just reported within the show as historical facts, instead of things actually happening, though. The timeline of the 20th to 21st century is pretty ... broken. I suspect the same for the time leading up to TOS. The show Enterprise also introduces continuity issues, both by having an Enterprise before the first one, and by several of the stories told during the show.

Of course, the constant time-travelling also makes things very difficult. (Temporal Cold War? Sisko travelling in a 21 century ghetto and becoming a historical figure? Kirk stealing Whales? A time travelling ship crashing on Earth and giving some Hippie the tools to revolutionize Earth computer technology?*)

I hate this type of storylines, by the way. "Uh, we didn't invent this technology, it came from aliens/time-travellers." Invalidating the work of thousands of scientists and engineers that has been done over the past century... [/off-topic rant]

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Wait, they were supposed to be celibate!?!? I thought they were just not allowed to be in any emotional relationships to others, and thus were allowed to have casual emotionally cold and distant "for reproduction only" (with the child being sent off to a distant orphanage on Tatooine) one night stand.
;)
  • Lust = Darkside
  • Temptation = Darkside
  • Lack of Control = Darkside
  • Love = Darkside
  • Family = Darkside
Look to history for why orders became celibate. For me, the Jedi order was messed up, trying to be too light side of the force, there has to be balance. :cool:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Actually, given the vast quantity of multi-year television series and movies, Star Trek's continuity isn't all that bad. Lots of minor stuff (see 'Nitpicker's Guides') but overall it holds together. Marvel and D.C. however are a whole different matter, largely due to writers who can't resist the urge to invalidate everything that happened before they took over the book.

Zog

First Post
Regarding Dr Who...

It actually had very good continuity - until the sixth and mainly the seventh Dr. And then new episodes (which are fantastic, btw) rolled out...

Only a few minor details - two explainations for the Loch Ness Monster, creative explainations for the endlessly re-occuring Master, existed. Very, very few continuity errors, for all that is a time-travel show that was broadcast for 25 consecutive years.

The seventh Dr. apparently eliminated the Cyber-men, had Davros as the Emperor Dalek and other what the heck moments.

The 'back-story' of the new episodes, the Time War with the Daleks, etc are great. But, they do contridict previous episodes, and raise numerous questions. Specifically, there was an episode with the 2nd Dr. where he destroyed the Daleks, Emperor and all, on Scaro. Rather hard for The idea that the Dr is the last of the Time Lords - What about Romana? Susan? The Raini? If all of the Daleks and the Time War are Time Locked, what about the Dalek invasion of Earth? Will that happen?

I'd love to see them tackle some of these questions in future episodes.
But these are largely questions to be explained, not so much continuity errors.

Orius

Legend

I'm pretty sure that was Lucas' intent for the whole romance in Clones. Since Star Wars is generally seen as a family-friendly franchise, he probably avoided cheap tawdry Jedi one night stands. It would offend too many parents. The impication here in the prequels is that the Jedi had become so rigid because they were afraid of falling to the Dark Side of the Force (ironically, which side does FEAR belong to, hmm? I think they were missing the point. :p)

Remove ads