• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Worst D&D advice

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
If you're uncomfortable with the people around your table after a few sessions of the campaign, put that aside and stay no matter what because you signed up for the campaign and everyone needs you to keep playing or you'll ruin it for everyone else.

If you're not having fun, neither is anyone else, so do something violent to shake things up. If anyone complains, tell them it's what your character would do.

For new DMs always have a super powerful DMNPC on hand to bail the players out if they get in over their heads, get off track or need help figuring out what to do next.

Make him mysterious and have all other NPCs in the game defer to him.

Don't forget to make him cool and interesting with dual wielded katanas, cloaks, odd coloured eyes etc. Even better is one of your own PCs from a campaign you played in, or even a self insert.

Bonus points if he's all three.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Kill off a player's PC early in the game so they have to sit around and do nothing for the rest of the game.
Definitely let them control a monster that's trying to kill the party so they have something to do, it will build trust and make your group stronger!

Also: always approve "revenge characters".

I know a lot of DM's who took this advice to heart, lol.
It cracks me up when I play in / watch a game and time is super taffy.

At one extreme, you wake up and do maybe two things and it's suddenly late in the evening. At the other extreme, you've been playing for hours of real life time and your resources are exhausted, but it's only been a couple hours in game. :sleep:

Arilyn

Hero
If you are a player, be inspired by method actors. Stay in character at all times, even before the game starts, during breaks, really anytime you are interacting with your fellow players. They will be awe struck at your dedication to the craft!

Remove ads