• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Feat Ever

ThirdWizard

First Post
There's a feat in Complete Arcane (I think) that negates AoOs for casting spells within threatened spaces if you have a shield, but a prerequisite for it is Combat Casting. That's the first time in 3.5 anyone has taken Combat Casting and we're still waiting to see if its worth it (warmage).

I rarely play characters to 15th level, and I don't always have sufficient points to max out Concentration. I like my wizards to have maxed out Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft, for instance. Nor, I've found, do clerics always have the opportunity to buff before combat. (And even if they do, I hate having to reserve buffing spells just to get my Constitution/Concentration up high enough to cast on the front lines.)

Other people will have different experiences, obviously. But in most campaigns I've played in, at least one of the Concentration-boosting feats has always been a wise choice.

the Lorax

First Post
Celebrim said:
The problem with toughness is twofold. First, in the long run 3 hit points isn't all that significant to a fighter that is going to end up with 100 or so. Second, there isn't alot of places to go from there. If Toughness opened up as many feats as Dodge or Power Attack, more people would take it. (I really need to get published sometime... :p)

Exactly. Toughness can be a bit of waste once you approach double digit levels, and without an associated feat chain you have nothing to build on for higher levels.

Which is something that, I suppose, could be its own thread:
Build a Toughness based feat chain

Infiniti2000

First Post
the Lorax said:
So for me, I find it hard to bother wasting a (rare) feat on boosting up Concentration, which by 15th level will only fail on a 1 without any Con boosting or Concentration aiding items.
Actually, a 1 is not automatic failure on skill checks, so at some point your casters will always succeed on Concentration checks for casting defensively, etc.

Daermon

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
My understanding was "Your Mileage May Vary"- i.e. it might not work as well for different groups.
Both "You Make Me Vomit" and "Your Mileage May Vary" are correct, actually.

It all depends on context.

jRocket

First Post
Would Weapon Specialization(Net) allow you to do 2 points of damage every time you hit someone with a net?
Not really that useless it if it does. :)

Stalker0

Legend
As far as dodge goes, AC racks up. Sure the first hit might be virtually guarranteed, but how about the 2nd, the 3rd? That's a lot of damage you aren't taking because of more AC. Which translates to less healing needed, so more spells for the cleric, etc.

Eventually it all adds up. The +2/+2 feats are fine for certain types of characters, just because a feat isn't popular doesn't make it bad.

However, combat casting is so horrible because its not really any better than skill focus: concentration. If I want to be good at concentration, I'm taking skill focus: concentration first, no question.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads