• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Possible Party Combinations

Remathilis

Legend
The Grumpy Celt said:
A pair of characters, both male, both white, both middle aged, both divorced, one a fastidious slightly effeminate conservative, the other a slovenly excessively masculine liberal and they live together in a smallish apartment.

They Fight Crime!TM

Seeten

First Post
Worst party I have been involved in:

Necromancer/Pale Master
Fighter
Half-Giant Druid

No skill monkey, spell caster with LA...on the plus side, the Necromancer had tons of minions, and could meet most fights head on, alone.

I admit it, I was the necromancer.

Also, I reanimated the Druid as a Ghoul when he died, and he dutifully rolled up a new character, a ninja/assassin. *sigh*

Andor

First Post
I can't believe an Odd Couple reference had to be explained. Very very sad.

Lesse...

Felix would be a disturbingly androgynous and finicky elf archivist of the Silver Flame.

Oscar would be a slovenly half-orc rogue/inqusitive who sidelined for the Korranberg Chronicle.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I think it really depends on the game. In a game with a minimal amount of combat .. having any tank at all makes it suboptimal. In a game where the DM doesn't use traps then things like Disable Device and trapfinding are wasted character options.

I know those situations are in the extreme minority of games, but I also like to think that there are no real suboptimal parties. There are parties that do not fit well into certain adventures. But any party that is formed can turn out to be a good game if the DM is willing to create an adventure that suits the party.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Drawmack said:
Halfling Barbarian (need I say more)

You laugh now, buddy boy. Just wait until you fail your spot check (and you will, believe me) and I chop you in half with my greataxe. A half-orc with maxed out Str does d12+7 damage when raging. My halfling does d10+5 damage. Average damage of 11.5 vs. 13.5, with a bonus round attacking when I surprise you. You won't even know what hit you. :]

hong

WotC's bitch
Cyberzombie said:
You laugh now, buddy boy. Just wait until you fail your spot check (and you will, believe me) and I chop you in half with my greataxe. A half-orc with maxed out Str does d12+7 damage when raging. My halfling does d10+5 damage. Average damage of 11.5 vs. 13.5, with a bonus round attacking when I surprise you. You won't even know what hit you. :]
"AAHH!!! My knees! My knees!"

airwalkrr

Adventurer
It seems like a joke, but just about every "worst-party" scenario I could imagine somehow involves a bard. And I don't even think bards are weak. There is just something about the name "bard" that sounds weak. ;)

Anyway, I would have to go with:

Samurai (warrior)
Paladin (priest)
Hexblade (mage)
Swashbuckler (expert)

Ironically, this party uses all three classes from the Complete Warrior. ;)

Remove ads