• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Value for Money RPG Purchase

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hmm, some instantly regretted purchases:

Hamanuptra (Egyptian Adventures) -- not what I was expecting

with apologies to Wulf -- Grim Tales -- I read through it, and then just set it in my "to sell" pile. Could not see what the big deal was.

Black Company -- I don't even know why I bought it, I think I had heard some good stuff about the magic system, which turned out to be clunkier than expected -- and I don't know a thing about the novels.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Gamma World D20. Poor execution in every regard. I started off using bits and pieces, but thanks to RPGObjects, D20 Future, D20 Apocalypse, and a few other products, there's no reason for me to even look to that book. I was really looking foward to it...

eris404

Explorer
My boyfriend bought The Rings of Power book - not well done at all.

But my personal most disappointing book was the Book of Challenges. Usually I can find uses for most things (I even found things to use in MMIV and that took some digging), but I really didn't like any of the encounters in it.

Now, if we're talking books that I actually like, but have yet to use, that's another story entirely.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Races of Stone and the Planar Handbook.

I bought these two together, so was seriously unhappy when I realised what a pile of poop they were (YMMV of course :) ). Up to that point I was a serial buyer of WotC books (D&D), but became a lot more picky after that. Now I only buy the things that interest me.

Dragonbait

Explorer
WoTC made: Psionic Handbook.

Non-WoTC: I've got way too many RPG books that I will never use. So if I could classify anything not written for D&D, Warhammer, Palladium, GURPS, L5R, or Star Wars that I own (and that still leaves me with quite a few books), then I would say that was the biggest waste of money.

Question: What is "wld"?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads