• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoT magic system w/ D&D spells

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I've been reading through the Wheel of Time magic section and I really like it. From reading through it I get the feeling that it could be a good magic system for a setting that isn't quite "low-magic".
I've often tried to think over how various spells would translate into this system. I know some spells are already written, most notably cure/inflict wounds, fireball, fog cloud, flame blade, and telekinesis/mage hand as examples.
Some spells would be very easy to convert over (the various Summon spells), but how would a spell like Dispel Magic, the Magic Circle spells, etc fit in? The easiest way is to have it at the same spell level as a weave and the higher level effects would be based on the minimum caster level.
Here is what I would think a Insect Plague/Summon Swarm/Creeping Doom weave would look like.

Code:
Level   Effect
  2     Can summon a Spider swarm
  3     Can summon a Bat swarm
  4     Can summon a Rat swarm
  5     Can summon a Locust swarm
  7     Can summon a Centipede swarm
  9     Can summon a Hellwasp swarm (or maybe 10th level)

Has anyone else thought of, or done something similar? How did it work out in-game? What were the problems encountered? Would this idea even work?

Thorindale

First Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. The only thing I've come up with is increasing the damage threasholds for spells, like fireball

Code:
As a 3rd level spell, 10d6 is max (as written)
As a 5th level spell, 15d6 is max
As a 7th level spell, 20d6 is max
As a 9th level spell, 25d6 is max

I was also thinking about increasing the area of effect at the different levels.

I like your idea for the vermin swarms, gonna have to snag that....

Remove ads