WotBS - Scouring of Gate Pass

Vertexx69

First Post
Shade, the Elven Rogue

With an impatient shrug Shade moves back to the front of the group swiftly, anxious to get out of the city before the army beats her to the gate. She wonders how many wounded kittens this lot will be stopping to cry over before they can get out of this toilet.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The party leaves Rantel behind and continues on. Passing through two more districts (one holding the great statue of the late Emperor Coaltongue), they make their way to a guards barracks settled near the Fire Gate, which leads south out of the city.

"Well now that we are here, finally." Torrent says with a dour look. "I can explain everything to you. This way."

Torrent leads you towards the stables connected to the side of the main building and after whispering to the guard there you all move inside. Finally alone (except for the horses), she starts to explain.

"We are going to join up with a guard patrol that will be heading out the Fire Gate soon. I had not want to involve them but we need the horses it seems what with all this." she says gesturing to the equipment laid out as the group listens. "But the mountains will be cold," she pauses thoughtful for a moment, then grins. "Cold until we hit the Fire Forest that is, then we will have to worry more about frying than freezing to death."

Looking at a few confused looks she explains further, "I plan to take the road through the Fire Forest it is both the shortest route and will make pursuit by an army nearly impossible. But first we need to get through the mountains and their may be wyvern patrols or worse," she shudders remembering the red winged beast from last night.

"We ride out with the patrol and then leave them behind and continue on our own. You all should find a mount and pack it up, I really didn't want to take horses they will prove more a burden than help in the ever burning forest. And then there is the guards I can't be sure if they will keep as quiet as I would like but it is a risk we need to take the case needs to get to Lyceum."

She starts looking at the horses grumbling about how she hasn't ridden in months.

[sblock=OOC] Everyone gets a horse or pony (non combat trained), bit and bridle, riding saddle, and saddlebags. Once everyone has posted up getting there mounts together I will advance the thread. [/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Barrik cocks his head to the side. "Fire forest? As we ride, I'd like a little explanation on that." The big half-orc looks over the horses, finding one large enough to easily accommodate his frame. He whispers a few things to the horse, chuckling as it nickers, then nuzzles his chest. "Easy, my friend. Lots to do."

The creature-summoning warrior straps the rest of his unnecessary gear to the beast, then swings himself onto the saddle, sitting comfortably.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"The Fire Forest?" Torrent says saddling her own horse and finding places for her gear. "Not much is know really. About forty years ago the forest caught fire and has been burning ever since. It was an elvish forest called Innenotdar, but the elves have long since fled it, the road should still be there though and it should only take two days to cross through."

She looks to the satchel she always wears over one shoulder. "Last time me and group tried to cross it was hard going and we didn't make it through. I'm better prepared this time." she says patting the satchel.

Walking Dad

First Post
Fantalass

Fantalass prepares his mount. He would have preferred to conjure a magical one, but he would need much more expirience to call one that would last long enough to ride it a whole day.
"The captured book holds a spell that helps one to endure the elements. Perhaps this will be helpful in this fire forest." He tells the others.

[sblock=OOC]

---

Fantalass
AC 11 (T11, FF10), HP 8/8, F +0,R+1,W+4

Acid Dart: 7/7 (+2, 1d6+2) (includes Point Blank bonus)

Prepared Spells:
DC = 10 + spell level + 3
Cantrips- 3, 1st- 2+1
0: Acid Splash, Dancing Light, Detect Magic, Message
1: Mage Armor - Color Spray, Mage Armor, Mount

Effects:

XP: ?

Caty: AC 15 (T14, FF13), HP 2/2, F +2,R+2,W+3 (Imp. Evasion)

[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
Under her breath, "Bah... horses..."

Marda finds herself a sturdy stead and stores only a few of the heavier items within the saddlebags. She secures her pack where she can release it should she have to loose the horse and want to keep the gear with here and not running off.

Once secure the dwarf lifts her axe that she set off to one side and puts it in the baldric across her back and hefts her shield. She takes several attempts but does finnally able to get her stout form up and into a saddle. "I knew I should have taken lessons."

"Ready to go..."

(( Almost put a rank in Ride when we leveled... would have at least negated the armor check penalty and skill of -5 ))

[sblock=Status]Hit Points 16 / 16
Armor Class 20
Armor Class (Touch) 11
Armor Class (Flatfooted) 19
Combat Maneuver Defense 15 (+4 vs bull rush and trip while on the ground)

Spells:
0-level (3 per day) (DC 12): Create Water, Detect Magic, Stabilize
1st level (2 per day + 1 domain) (DC13): Bless, Divine Favor(d), Endure Elements (cast)

Channel Energy 1d6+3 (d+cha+half level) (DC 14) {5 / 5}
Inspiring Word (+2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round) {5 / 5}
Touch of Glory (+1 to cha check) {5 / 5}

[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Horses saddled and gear stowed the group heads out of the stables and joins a group of guards and other adventurer types at the Fire Gate.

"We are acting as volunteers going out to help find people who fled out into the mountains during the attack." Torrent says before the group joins the others. "We will break off from the main group and head for the forest as soon as we can."

Mounting up the group follows the guards and leaves Gate Pass on the road to the fire forest. They manage to help a little as they travel finding refuges and sending them back to the city. And as Torrent said they would they break off and head deeper into the mountain pass as the guards and others turn back.

They travel deep up the mountains the air growing colder as they ride. When the sun is but an hour from setting Torrent pulls up and suggest that you make camp.

"It's about another three days to the fire forest," Torrent says around a small fire moments later. Shivering she adds, "And by the Blue Mistress I hope it is warmer there."

The night goes by uneventful but it is turns very cold towards morning. The group wakes at dawn the sun not yet up to warm up the day.

[sblock=OOC] Ok need two FORT saves from everyone, due to the cold weather. DC 15 for first check, and DC 16 for the second. Everyone but Shade, can gain the +5 circumstance bonus to the save due to their cold weather outfit. [/sblock]

[sblock=WD] You could have made a scroll the night before from one of your spells, if you wish. Don't forget the scroll case given to you by your teachers.[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Barrik performs a quick set of stretches to get the blood moving. The half-orc makes sure none of his appendages are about to freeze off, then goes to work his horse's muscles. Over his shoulder, he calls out, "You should do likewise. Can't afford to have them freeze up and injure themselves."

After he finishes a long process of massaging the horse's muscles, the half-orc stands near a large rock, focusing on the stone and mumbling in some strange language... The same thing we was doing last night. And again, this "ritual" ends with him pulling the strange yellow-green canine-like creature from the rock and setting it on the ground. It immediately begins following him around as he packs up his belongings, sniffing at a few items, but it does not approach anyone else.

Vertexx69

First Post
Shade, the Elven Rogue

OOC: If we have horses then Shade would take a cold weather outfit as well, considering shes not that hardy. either way it doesn't change the results of the rolls.

Fort saves (1d20+5=21, 1d20+5=12)

Shade is unaffected by the cold at the beginning of the night, but by the end it has set into her slender bones setting her teeth to chattering behind her mask.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Mal hopes that the cold will not be as unbearable as it can be. Usually accustomed to the warmth of a chimney fire, the outside weather is harsh and unrelenting. He wraps himself tightly, hoping to fend off the coldness and numbing feeling that has his hands frozen...

Remove ads