• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC Adds 'Partnered Content' to DnDBeyond--Starting With Critical Role's Tal’dorei Campaign Setting

New 'Partnered Content' area has appeared!

taldorei-cover-art.jpg

One of the promises Wizards of the Coast made in the aftermath of the Open Gaming License 'crisis' back in January was that D&D Beyond would eventually have some kind of third party marketplace. Up until now, only official D&D books from WotC have been available there.

Now, however, there is a section of 'partnered content' -- six titles, including three Critical Role sourcebooks, as well as some older licensed items like the Rick & Morty boxed set and the Minecraft monster tie-in. The latter were already on DDB, but the 'Partnered Content' home for them is new, as is the Tal-'dorei Campaign Setting.

As of now you can pick up Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, Call of the Netherdeep, and the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting Reborn.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.08.54 PM.png

While this 'partnered content' is a long way yet from the third-party marketplace mentioned earlier this year (which is likely a a couple of years away), it is notable that third party content is now appearing on the site.

Clint_L

Hero
I just checked and, once you toggle "partnered content" on, Tal'Dorei Reborn is fully integrated into DDB features like monster rules, magic items rules, and, crucially, the encounter builder. Exactly the same as WotC content. It also appears alphabetically in the list with all my WotC sourcebooks, with a subtitle underneath flagging it as "Darrington Press." So it appears to have been given the full treatment, just like WotC material.

This is probably a test run to see how it works out for both parties. If successful and this becomes available to additional 3PP it will be a game changer and, I imagine, a very strong potential revenue stream for 3PP that can get their stuff on DDB. Not to mention a huge win for consumers.

Edit: re cost - it is $29.99, which is heavily discounted from the cost of the print edition (which I already own), though I agree that it would be great if they were able to bundle future releases. I suspect that would be a challenge with 3PP, though. DDB has regular sales, so I would expect to see this go for less than $20 in the not-too-distant future (by X-mas, for example).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wished I would have gotten the bundle. I didn't think I'd be using Beyond as much as do and now I can't really see going back. It just makes running the game easier for me.
It’s discounted by the amount you already paid for the content you already have, fwiw. So you’re just paying for the stuff you don’t have yet, at a discount, and then getting said discount on all future purchases of content.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No. That book is a revision of a book that CR made with Green Ronin before WotC was really involved, I think. I’d have to look at timing.

But it’s absolutely 3rd party.
But didn’t WotC publish it? Or am I misremembering?

OB1

Jedi Master
What a fantastic surprise! I've been holding back on purchasing the PDF of TR because I run all my games out of DDB, and while it would have made interesting reading, I didn't want to hand convert it into DDB. Just purchased and excited to add these elements to my campaign! Now if we could get KP's monster tomes on the platform I'd be thrilled. I have a couple in print but those great monsters never make it into my games for the same reason.

Remove ads

Remove ads