• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC and Gencon. No Events submitted???

Inferno!

Explorer
smerwin29 said:
If the worst happens and there isn't, I'll still be there, running games out on the street! ;-) Shawn

Of course if the worst happens, you won't need to be on the street. There will be plenty of extra space inside :)

The absence of WotC would bother me from the standpoint of diminishing the convention overall. If WotC bails, who else will, and will we be left with much of a show?

As far as the impact on me personally, I've been to some of their seminars, but thats about it. In the exhibit hall, I avoid the WotC booth. Its usually packed with people in line for hours to roll a giant die and maybe get something free. They block the aisles and its a general nuisance. Last year was nice, as they were stuck back in the corner where it didn't impact getting to the other booths much.

Contrarian

First Post
You know, it's possible that WOTC is just really busy getting 4E together. Likewise, the RPGA's probably pretty busy reorganizing itself around a rule system that none of them own the rulebooks for yet.

The e-mail from WOTC customer service is interesting, however. Keep in mind that Chapter 11 reorganization isn't automatic -- a judge has to approve it and oversee it. WOTC might be afraid the judge will decide Gen Con LLC's reorganization plan is inadequate and kill it.

qstor

Adventurer
Contrarian said:
The e-mail from WOTC customer service is interesting, however. Keep in mind that Chapter 11 reorganization isn't automatic -- a judge has to approve it and oversee it. WOTC might be afraid the judge will decide Gen Con LLC's reorganization plan is inadequate and kill it.

Yeah I'm a lawyer and don't do bankruptcy law but I find this unlikly, I'm sure they have some consultant or lawyer helping them out to rework things. AFAIK its basically a plan to pay off creditors and shrink assets. GenCon has canceled some unprofitable shows. GenCon Indy is their bread and butter. It's not going to get killed, it's highly profitable.

Mike

undeaddan

First Post
Inferno! said:
The absence of WotC would bother me from the standpoint of diminishing the convention overall. If WotC bails, who else will, and will we be left with much of a show?

There are already over 4000 events. Does GenCon really need WotC to have a successful show? I have been going to GenCon for 5 years and I have yet to play in a Wizards event.

My schedule is full again this year. I didn't even notice the lack of RPGA and WotC events until I read the press release.

GenCon has soooo much more to offer.

My schedule:
2 shift demoing in the Privateer Booth
Mouse Guard the RPG with Luke Crane (of Burning Wheel)
A Miniature Painting Class
True Dungeon

kenobi65

First Post
qstor said:
AFAIK its basically a plan to pay off creditors and shrink assets. GenCon has canceled some unprofitable shows. GenCon Indy is their bread and butter. It's not going to get killed, it's highly profitable.

Indeed, and it'd seem to me that the best chance GenCon's creditors have to get paid would be to let GenCon Indy go on as planned, so that GenCon LLC gets some cash, with which to pay them back.

Contrarian

First Post
undeaddan said:
There are already over 4000 events. Does GenCon really need WotC to have a successful show?

Well, there are a big chunk of RPGA guys who go just for D&D. If WOTC and the RPGA wussed out, I think Gen Con would be missing a few hundred big spenders.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Contrarian said:
You know, it's possible that WOTC is just really busy getting 4E together.

Isn't promoting 4E through the biggest convention in the Western hemisphere part and parcel of "getting 4E together?" Isn't missing the deadline to have their 4E events included in the intial round of event registration a bit strange?

Spinachcat

First Post
The bankruptcy issue is a ruse. BK is a standard financial manuever these days. It's just debt reorganization, not anywhere near the end of a company. However, I suspect 1 of 2 things may be correct.

a) Hasbro does not want to piss off Lucasfilm since Wotc/Hasbro has many licenses for
Star Wars games and toys. Thus, they will avoid contact with GenCon, the Haters of Dying Children, until pending disagreements are over and Make-A-Wish gets their charity cash. Stiffing a charity is bad, but a charity for dying kids? Damn, that's bad PR.

OR

b) WotC knows something about GenCon's bankruptcy that isn't public knowledge. Like they are trying to buy GenCon back from Peter and using their absence as leverage. Remember, WotC is not just D&D, it's also Magic so the loss of WotC chops out the biggest RPG and the biggest CCG from their event. That's a lotta people.

Raevynn

First Post
OK completely unsubstantiated theory here but.... this is my evil bastard thoughts working:

With this type of maneuvering it would not surprise me to find at the last minute that WotC steps in to "buy" GenCon back at a "fire sale" price... especially after placing all this rumor and doubt on their position at GenCon.

OR

They could also be playing the "see how our customer base affects you? give us a huge discount on space/etc..."

Remove ads