• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC announces 'Rise of the Underdark' campaign

Endur

First Post
What I would really like to see is lots more battle maps instead of reprints.

I'm kind of annoyed at WOTC for re-releasing the same battle maps I just bought four or five years ago.

That said, I like what Gale Force 9 is doing. Making the battle maps erasable is a good idea.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Blah blah.

Lolth is a bit over-confident for someone with only 66 hit points...

You are getting really adept at including content-free posts for every D&D news we get.

Of course, others already threaten your dominance.

Btw, the Year of the Drow was 2002. And the Menzoberranzan box came out in 1992, so i think while drow have become the orcs of D&D, we still need some new material.

Kaodi

Hero
The part of me that still loves video and computer games (which has so far evaded the part of me which wishes finish the job and club it to death, as I quit playing them over a year ago now) certainly wishes that the DDO expansion had stuck to Eberron, even if they had turned the drow stuff up to twelve. They could easily have gone with an expansion plotline that pit the different drow factions, like the follows of Vulkoor and the Sulatar, against each other in an expansion that fanned out from the Stormreach area of Xen'drik. Edit: They could even have made use of the Spinner of Chaos!

Endur

First Post
So, where is the actual campaign? The big module or series of connected adventures?

August 2012

Not sure why the news didn't list it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Menzoberranzan-City-Intrigue-RPG-Team/dp/0786960361/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322424151&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue (Dungeons & Dragons) (9780786960361): RPG Team: Books[/ame]

scourger

Explorer
Campaign Setting & Fortune Cards – On August 21, anew campaign setting will provide an in-depth exploration of the greatest drow city in the Dungeons & Dragons® game. Containing all of the information a Dungeon Master needs to run adventures or an entire campaign based in this treacherous city, including descriptions of city locations, drow houses, key organizations, and the precarious political landscape, the Menzoberranzan Campaign Setting also gives players information they need to create characters who are members of drow houses or organizations within Menzoberranzan. Drow Treachery™ Fortune Cards will provide additional elements of unpredictability that already runs rampant within drow culture to enhance attacks and defenses, or provide other benefits to characters.

These are the same and both refer to a campaign setting book, not an actual adventure or series of adventures constituting a campaign. That's what I think is lacking in this effort. I may still check out this book, but I doubt I'll buy it. It sounds like the typical sort of book that gives some information but then leaves it to the DM to do all the work of plotting out an adventure.

Colmarr

First Post
So, where is the actual campaign? The big module or series of connected adventures?

I don't think WotC do them any more.

This is akin to the Abyssal Plague international event from (last year?), a series of themed releases at the same time. More of a marketing campaign than a D&D campaign, really.

Not that I disapprove, but I understand your confusion.

S'mon

Legend
I don't think WotC do them any more.

This is akin to the Abyssal Plague international event from (last year?), a series of themed releases at the same time. More of a marketing campaign than a D&D campaign, really.

Not that I disapprove, but I understand your confusion.

Yeah, I was confused too.

I don't understand why WoTC are so incompetent at adventures that they've actually given up on them. It's hardly rocket science.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads