• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC, attention please

Abstraction

First Post
Please, please, please include a pronunciation guide for any words that cannot be found in the dictionary! When my wife and I were discussing the new races in the PHB, we got into a argument as whether the Tiefling rhymes whith Thief-ling or Fife-ling.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Abstraction said:
Please, please, please include a pronunciation guide for any words that cannot be found in the dictionary! When my wife and I were discussing the new races in the PHB, we got into a argument as whether the Tiefling rhymes whith Thief-ling or Fife-ling.
Dragon Compendium Volume 1 has a pronunciation guide in the back. I'm sure Paizo will ... oh, wait. :eek:

delericho

Legend
Does it really matter?

In fact, in a 'realistic' fantasy realm, there would almost certainly be competing pronunciations. Like E.N. World and Nworld.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Abstraction said:
I kow that :
Yuan-ti is pronounced "YOO-on TEE" (from Aug previews)
Drow rhymes with cow, not row (don't remember where I saw it but I'm 100% sure
And I think Tiefling is "Teef-ling"

breschau

First Post
Remathilis said:
I thought it was pronounce TIE-F-LING as in Teufel (Pr: TIE-FUL), the German word for "The Devil".

But, that's the incorrect German pronunciation. In German, it's "toy-ful." Both eu and äu are pronouned "oi" as in "toy" without the "t."

Remathilis

Legend
breschau said:
But, that's the incorrect German pronunciation. In German, it's "toy-ful." Both eu and äu are pronouned "oi" as in "toy" without the "t."

Danke schön. My German is a long-time rusty.

Back to square one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads