• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC board crash? [They're back up - M. Morris]

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Michael Morris said:
Take it from someone with access to the admin cp over there - Their server peaks at 600 or so users. At that point, its server load averages are 12 times ENWorld's when the ENWorld server is working with 1600 users.

Think about that for a moment.

I am. Incredible.

(I seem to remember some very tough times on the ENworld boards, incidentally).

Cheers!

Michael Morris

First Post
MerricB said:
I am. Incredible.

(I seem to remember some very tough times on the ENworld boards, incidentally).

Cheers!

Until all you guys got together and raised that money. As both an admin and a user I am grateful to all who participated. Deeply grateful.

But the power of this monster Adlon built is even more amazing if you consider this - The WotC server runs an optimization package called turckmmcache to speed up the execution of scripts 7-9 times. ENWorld has no such package (yet - when I do install it expect to see the rare slowdowns we've seen disappear for some time to come).

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When you consider the load ENWorld takes on, then the smallness of Wizards D&D boards (ignoring their non-D&D forums), and then try to think of the other D&D boards out there...

...the online D&D community seems to be very few people indeed.

Cheers!

Michael Morris

First Post
Morrus said:
WotC has far, far more members than we have, though. And more posts. An odd disparity.

They've never pruned - we have. I think the numbers would be closer if they pruned. I also suspect they have far more dead accounts then we do too.

kuje31

First Post
Michael Morris said:
They've never pruned - we have. I think the numbers would be closer if they pruned. I also suspect they have far more dead accounts then we do too.

Can believe this... I'm surprised at the amount of members that are still there, and with "active" accounts, that haven't posted in 2 to 4 years. :)

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Take it from someone with access to the admin cp over there - Their server peaks at 600 or so users. At that point, its server load averages are 12 times ENWorld's when the ENWorld server is working with 1600 users.
And it shows. :\
Michael Morris said:
EDIT: Let me add something. All of the people who work on the WotC server are doing the best job they can with the tools they have available. They are all wonderful people. That said, that server is badly outdated and woefully underpowered for the task it is asked to do.
I never cease to be surprised by the way corporations nickle-and-dime certain essential business functions.

I wonder if the overall corporate thinking is, "Well, only a small proportion of gamers go online, so we don't really need to invest in the technology," instead of recognizing that they could attract more users by effective marketing of the website?

Thanks for the insights, Michael - you confirmed my suspicions about the source the problems. As you said, it's tough to meet the needs of the users without the proper equipment.

Remove ads