• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Discontinues Minis: How Much Does It Affect You?

How much does the discontinuation of D&D Minis affect you/your game?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I probably have 250 minis, mostly DDM, though a few are old metal ones and a few heroscape./

I am the only one to buy minis in my group and we have enough, though minis rarely representthe actual monster at the time. My gargantuan blue will at one point in my current campaign, but don't tell my players.

So, no effect at all, though I would have liked to see more minis. I have not seen any non-DDM minis I would want to purchase, so that route is out.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it won't affect me. I say unfortunately, because I woul love to have been a collector and then dismayed at the cancellation. For my players, they don't pay attention to anything rpg so they won't know unless I say something at the table about it.

Dausuul

Legend
No biggie. If one thing the DDM line taught me is that no matter how many minis you have, you're never going to have exactly the right one for every encounter, nor are you always going to have enough of them even if you do have the right one.

Says you. :)

*checks bank account to see how much I can afford to spend on minis this month*

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
It won't affect my gameplay at all because I have a nice collection already. Gamers don't really need much of anything else unless you want to get really picky. There are over 1000 sculpts already. Almost anything missing can be substituted by an existing mini that would be a pretty close match.

And really, the minis are a perk for D&D. In no way are they a requirement. You can use all sorts of substitutes as miniatures if you need to.

Quantarum

First Post
Quite a bit, but not devastating. I paint minis to supplement my plastic collection, I'll just being doing more of that to cover any holes. -Q.

BryonD

Hero
Not at all.

I love my DDMs. But I already have more than I can keep sorted. And that also makes enough that I always have a good enough stand in for whatever is happening. I haven't bought any more in over a year because I hit diminishing returns really hard.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
It doesn't really affect me...I kinda "graduated" from the WotC minis when the new (non-minis game) came out and it actually became more cost-effective for me to get what I wanted through other means. Games Workshop bulk army boxes are more cost effective, and if I really want something special, I'll pick it up. I'm a big fan of the War Machine sculpts. Eventually, I'll get around to painting what I've got, and may even start scultping my own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads