• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC ESDs

Codragon

First Post
Are they worth the $4.99 price tag? How many have bought them? What are your experiences in purchasing them? Any delivery trouble?

I was thinking of buying some ESDs over at the WotC store. Specifically, some PlaneScape stuff because I sorta skipped over it in 2E and it seems really cool. I'm also interested in the Castle Greyhawk modules, since I always wanted them.

[Edit] Hmm...just now I tried to find the Castle Greyhawk ESD and that part of the site is closed down. Hopefully it's not permanent. :( However, the actual PlaneScape boxed set is still for sale! :)

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Depends on the product, really.

Would you buy a book for $5? Yes, if its a good book. No, if its a bad one.

I bought about $20 worth of stuff and I was thrilled with my purchase. Another guy I know bought $10 and was equally delighted. I could easily drop $100 and read entire product lines I didn't touch before. That is my personal experience with the ESDs. But, as always, your mileage may vary.

I purchased one of the DragonLance ESD's purely for the maps it contained.

Needless to say the money was a complete and utter waste and it pissed me off. Whoever converted the modules to ESD took the larrge maps and broke them up into 8x11 sheets with no thought what so ever. The result were several maps that could have fit on 4 sheets centered being on 6 sheets all skewed and nearly impossible to read.

That will be the last time ever that I purchase an ESD.

Teneb

Explorer
I've purchased quite a few ESDs (including some Planescape ones) and have been very satisfied. I had a little trouble this last time since svgames has taken over the online store. However, they were very responsive to emails and we got it figured out. Buying a $30 boxed set for $5? Can't beat it.

DocMoriartty DOES bring up a really important point though: maps and posters will be messed up most likely. If you just want the information however, ESDs are great.

Edit: attributed quote to wrong person (sorry Codragon!)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I've gotten a bunch, all the original free ones they offered, a bunch when they were 3.49 and a bunch even after they jacked up the price to 4.99. I haven't printed any out, but I like to read them, convert some stuff, and I think they are great for storage (my bookshelf is overflowing). I do a lot of incorporating nond20 stuff into my game so the fact that they are basic, 1e or 2e doesn't bother me.

Codragon

First Post
great replies

To all: Thanks for the great replies, and keep em comin'!

Staffan: Thanks for the link and information!

Teneb: I think you misquoted me. It was DocMoriartty that brought up the point about ESDs being a bad buy if you get them for the maps. I agree, but I have no idea how you're not going to break up a map into 8.5x11 sections when putting a document into pdf form. Also you would need special paper and a poster printer to get the full effect. Perhaps the maps should be included as separate image files with instructions on what paper/printer to use - but there may be cost/security issues there.

Last edited:

Codragon said:
Are they worth the $4.99 price tag? How many have bought them? What are your experiences in purchasing them? Any delivery trouble?

I was thinking of buying some ESDs over at the WotC store. Specifically, some PlaneScape stuff because I sorta skipped over it in 2E and it seems really cool. I'm also interested in the Castle Greyhawk modules, since I always wanted them.

[Edit] Hmm...just now I tried to find the Castle Greyhawk ESD and that part of the site is closed down. Hopefully it's not permanent. :( However, the actual PlaneScape boxed set is still for sale! :)

Castle Greyhawk is the pun-filled dungeon which was not written by Gary Gygax. Each level was written by a different author...and it shows--not very good continuity (at least thematically). Some people feel it was specifically created to ruin the Greyhawk setting (as sort of a "screw Gary over" campaign by T$R). If that's the one you want, go for it. I bought it on eBay, read the first five levels or so, and could not finish it. I liked one of the levels I read, but having the Pop-n-Fresh dough boy as a monster..... :rolleyes:

If you want the mega-dungeon crawl (over 1000 rooms, I think), that's Greyhawk Ruins. I bought that as an ESD, rather than pay the $70+ it goes for on eBay.

Don't know about any other modules which center on Castle Greyhawk; these are just the two that I own.

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

I have purchased several OAD&D books and modules in the ESD format. I have been generally satisfied with the quality of the material, although I did find that one of the pages in the MM2 was out of place.

Also, I believe that EX1 and EX2 were special areas that were accessed from areas in Castle Greyhawk and were written by Gary (IIRC - I have not read them in years). I believe that these are available as ESD purchases.

I hope that this helps.

Mike

Krail Stromquism

First Post
Gazeteers

I love the ESD's.

a good way to check if its a good deal is to just jump on Ebay and see how much the paper version goes for.

I happen to love the old Gazeteers, Ive seen Elves of Alpheim go for near a 100 dollars on ebay, I think that was 2 years ago. So ESD's are the best deal ever.

Ok the maps are all screwing but hey, they are better then shelling out big bucks, right?

Maybe we should petition them to make the maps for printer freindly?

anyway,

Viva La ESD!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads