D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Assassin would make sense, under similar logic to the justification for the removal of the Assassin class in 2e - anyone who commits political murder and/or murder for higher is an assassin, so having it be a subclass is a bit unusual. More importantly, they’ve struggled to come up with a satisfying version of the Assassinate feature. Players want such a feature to significantly increase damage, but the designers don’t one one subclass to have significantly higher damage output than the others (to their credit, I think). So, rather than continue to struggle to crack that nut, cut the subclass and replace it with a psychic subclass, since that’s something there’s a certain demand for anyway.

EDIT: Presumably Psi Knight replaced Brawler.

Another reason I can see the Assassin making sense as a replacement, is that a rogue subclass that has the ability to create blades that leave no wounds.... screams to be used as magical assassins. So, thematically, you still would have a great "assassin rogue", just one who can utilize psychic telepathy to work with a team and cannot be disarmed instead of one that made costumes and poisons (which are tool kits anyone can get)

Yaarel

He Mage
I am really happy, psionic is finally in core for real.

At the same time, I miss the Psion class.

For what it's worth, I believe they've said the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is going to be "rebranded" as Psionic Soul Sorcerer in the '24PHB, so chances are pretty good that the Far Realm/Aberration flavoring of the subclass is going to be significantly more optional than it was as portrayed in Tasha's.
The Psion cannot be a subclass − the concept itself requires too many subclasses. It needs to be its own class to do the concept properly − and preferably borrowing the Warlock chassis, and upto its slot 9 spells, with short rest spell points. I am less a fan of Sorcerer mechanics (even the name "sorcerer" rubs me the wrong way for a psi concept), and the Sorcerer subclass isnt even fully psionic. I need an actual Psion class with total psionic manifestation of every power − and death to every spell component ever. Delete "costly" gp components forever! Psionic spells NEVER use spell components. No more external crap! And the Psion comes with all of the Psion subclasses.

At the very least, the Psion themes are:

• Enchantment (Telepathy)
• Divination (Prescience) and Teleportation
• Dunomancy (Telekinesis), Force and Flight
• Shapeshift (Psychometabolism) and Healing

Others want to see

• Illusion (Metacreativity) and Quasi-Real Objects
• Elemental
• Planar and Summon

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
For what it's worth, I believe they've said the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is going to be rebranded as the "Psionic Soul" Sorcerer in the '24PHB, so chances are pretty good that the Far Realm/Aberration flavoring of the subclass is going to be significantly more optional than it was as portrayed in Tasha's.
I know they tried that in Tasha and it went back to Aberrant Soul for the final book. I think they also referred to it as Aberrant Soul in this video. If you have any proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it!

(Seriously, I would like the caster Psion to be less tentaclely)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Fair enough -- not a majority but an engaged and vocal minority. My point is that it happened enough times that the message being sent was clear, and we (the posters on this board, and the engaged fanbase generally) are complicit.

Squeaky wheels get the grease, and the public, consultative process will defer to loud voices.
Wow! I actually made a difference for once.

The UA descriptions make it seem that Elves are the opposite of Tieflings. The Elves are Celestial expatriots from CG Arborea, whence counterparts of the Tieflings as Fiend expatriots from LE Hell.

Perhaps the Genasi make it into the Players Handbook. They are notably popular. If so, I hope they are overtly Elemental, with forms that are at least sometimes solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

Only one of the 1D&D Tiefling lineages was hell focused the other two were Abyssal and Hades/other more neutral lower planes. And the closest Elves get to being the opposite of Tieflings are Astral Elves who aren't in this book. Originally I think Ardlings were supposed to be the Tieflings opposites, but everyone was like those are just furry Aasimar!

I know they tried that in Tasha and it went back to Aberrant Soul for the final book. I think they also referred to it as Aberrant Soul in this video. If you have any proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it!

(Seriously, I would like the caster Psion to be less tentaclely)
Huh... Could've sworn I remember hearing that in an interview during the UA phase that covered Sorcerers (UA 7, I think), but going back I can't seem to find it... They refer to its new name as "Aberrant Sorcery" there...

This may be something my mind has somehow concocted out of thin air. If so, please disregard.

For what it's worth, I believe they've said the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is going to be rebranded as the "Psionic Soul" Sorcerer in the '24PHB, so chances are pretty good that the Far Realm/Aberration flavoring of the subclass is going to be significantly more optional than it was as portrayed in Tasha's.

Source for them going back to Psionic Soul, because the point of picking Aberrant wasn't just that it was basically the cloest 5e gets to a Psion class, but that its Aberrant hertiage contrasts with Dragonblooded's Draconic Hertiage. With Wildmagic chaos contrasting with Clockwork magic's law.

Edit: Made this post before I saw you had address it.l, sorry.

Source for them going back to Psionic Soul, because the point of picking Aberrant wasn't just that it was basically the cloest 5e gets to a Psion class, but that its Aberrant hertiage contrasts with Dragonblooded's Draconic Hertiage. With Wildmagic chaos contrasting with Clockwork magic's law.

Edit: Made this post before I saw you had address it.l, sorry.
No worries.

Not sure where the "Psionic Soul" thing came from. Maybe I was going through the older, Tasha-era UAs at the time and a wire got crossed somewhere...

Remove ads

Remove ads