• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
while I agree that it is preferable to get close to your concept, I wonder whether ‘good climber but weak swimmer’ really is a concept or relevant to a concept and not just needless fiddling with details
Depends on the person, obviously. Clearly that would be needless fiddling with details to you.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A lot of 3.5's feats were either feat taxes or later just improved versions of older feats. In many ways 5E is more flexible, especially if you limit yourself to the core books. I no longer need a special class to have a high dex fighter that can also pick locks for example, I just need to take the right background. Pluses and minuses to both approaches of course, I prefer the relative lack of bloat in 5E.
I don't actually believe in RPG bloat. More material is better than less. If you don't want something, just don't include it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Or to 2e for achieving detailed campaign material. Or to 4e for rule clarity and balance. Or to 1e for evokable prose and creativity.

5e holds the reputation of "everybody's second-favorite D&D" for a reason.
No. Since we are talking character options that allow you to achieve your character concepts, 2e detailed campaign material is apples to character option oranges. 2e had the best lore by far, but that's not the same thing. 4e I have no idea about with regard to character options, but clarity and balance are also apples.

mamba

Legend
Depends on the person, obviously. Clearly that would be needless fiddling with details to you.
for a character concept, absolutely. If you tell me you like that level of granularity, there is nothing wrong with that, I just do not see the concept being at this level.

As @Parmandur said (I am paraphrasing) this level of detail maps a hundred different configurations onto the same concept, it does not really increase the number of available concepts

Chaosmancer

Legend
I would say quite the opposite, that 3E was full of traps that would not work (and on purpose, an influence from Magic deaogn!), whereas all 5E builds will work.

But seriously, what concept can yoy not cover in 5E PHB but the 3E PHB facilitates...? I don't consider the minutiae of the Akill system as having much significance to the character concept, frankly, though 5E gets in the way far less than 3.x ever did.

Yeah, if there was ever a thing I hated with the passion of a thousand suns, it is trap options in a TTRPG. Especially intentional ones. That is such hostile design, I never see a good reason for it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I would just add a line under the other skills called swimming, assign it to either STR or CON depending on goal (speed or distance), add proficiency, and carry on.

And before someone says "yeah house rule", the portions of the descriptions for using ability skills seem to imply this use (IMHO).

Remove ads

Remove ads