D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

I’m not sure if I really like the addition of Psi-SubClasses as of yet. Can somebody remind me how psionic powers work in D&D? Are they significantly different from the normal magic systems?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
And my point is half of this new-to-the-PHB stuff is in Tasha's.

We are getting a bunch of reprints
If this turn out to be completely true, (That is, there is nothing new in the PHB) this is still useful to many. All new players and many DM still lugging physical books to a meet, for instance.
Even many that have the existing books, may still find utility in having all the information in one volume for reference even in electronic form.
This is particularly the case on D&DBeyond. The site is a book reader, and it is super easy to reference a single volume but more difficult in referencing multiple volumes.

mamba

Legend
If this turn out to be completely true, (That is, there is nothing new in the PHB) this is still useful to many. All new players and many DM still lugging physical books to a meet, for instance.
it is obviously not true, but it also does not really help with how many books you have to carry around… it is not a full reprint of PHB, Xanathar or Tasha, so unless you drop the other parts you still need those books as well

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
We actually had a pretty extensive thread about this recently, and the argument boils down to people having different opinions of how transparent mechanics should be to players, including things like DCs for proposed actions. I'm generally in the camp that the players discover those difficulties by trying it. The only certain information they possess is how good their character is at a thing.

This is off topic, though, so I think we should re-open that discussion in another thread.
If you have no context for the number, you DON'T know how good your character is.

Without a context for the numbers, +10 to a roll tells you nothing except that you're better at it than someone with a +5. If the DCs are regularly 30+, it makes essentially no difference whether your modifier is -1 or +11, your chances of success are abysmal and always will be. If DCs are typically around 10, having +10 is nice but maybe overkill while +5 is ample for most characters, unless the DM decides that you don't just need to pass one check, but four.

You can only make informed decisions about your abilities when you can actually predict, up to the variance of the dice, what your likely results are. Hiding the entire procedure behind the "DM says" black box means that you cannot do that—and humans are really, really, really awful at statistics, especially when they aren't carefully tracking successes and failures AND can't even in principle know what the actual range of success on any given roll might have been.

Edit: Also, reading comprehension failure, I did not see your final sentence. I will abide by this request, and apologize for not seeing it before writing a response.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
it is obviously not true, but it also does not really help with how many books you have to carry around… it is not a full reprint of PHB, Xanathar or Tasha, so unless you drop the other parts you still need those books as well
We do not really know what is, or is not the case but I was addressing the point that dismissed the new books because there were merely reprinting existing material. My point was that even if that was true it could still have utility to many people.

Remathilis

Legend
And my point is half of this new-to-the-PHB stuff is in Tasha's.

We are getting a bunch of reprints
I mean, they weren't going to make a new version of the PHB and not include the classics in it. And they did include new stuff (dance, seas, world tree) and tried and few that the community rejected (ardling, brawler). My issue is that they mostly pulled from Tasha and not Xanathar, which needed more work to keep it compatible. Storm sorcery needs more TLC than clockwork did.

mamba

Legend
We do not really know what is, or is not the case
we know it is not a reprint, at a minimum (ignoring the playtest) yesterday’s video told us that not even the Tasha subclasses are straight reprints, so I am not sure why you insist on us not knowing that

As to the rest, I understood what you were saying, my point was that unless you are ok with losing / not having the parts that were not included, the new ‘reprint’ would not even help with that

Reynard

Legend
If you have no context for the number, you DON'T know how good your character is.
You have context:
5=very easy
10=easy
15=moderate
20=hard
25=very hard
30=nigh impossible

It is inherent in the system -- a system that does NOT scale DCs, and that reigns in numbrs bloat intentionally.

Saying you don't have "context" to tell you what your +8 to Athletics means is nonsense.

Remove ads

Remove ads