D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I cant find the source, I have looked. But there are prominent sites that attribute it to Gygax, such as TVTropes Org.

But you know, it looks like something Gygax would say!
It just feels strange not to be able to find something definitive. And, as Thomas Edison said, "If Facebook taught me anything, it's that you can never trust an Abe Lincoln quote."

Yaarel

He Mage
It just feels strange not to be able to find something definitive. And, as Thomas Edison said "If Facebook taught me anything, it's that you can never trust an Abe Lincoln quote."
I was fascinated to learn that certain quotes attributed to Churchill and Einstein, were actually shown to be from people paraphrasing them. Hence there were even different versions of the quotes, depending on which paraphrase someone quoted verbatim.

In the ancient world, thats just how ancient texts work. But it is surprising that rough paraphrasing is still a thing in this day and age.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I personally don't like them being in the core books. I never have. I find them antithetical to my taste in fantasy. Strongly so. So while I like that they are there for those who want them, I would greatly prefer that they were in supplementary books.
This summarizes my feeling about firearms. I think we will both be disappointed.

Reynard

Legend
The key to restoring the balance of high level fighters versus casters isn't to increase the power of fighters, it is to reign the casters back in with the pile of difficulties they were saddled with in the early design. Everyone thought it wasn't fun to track components and have to roll to learn spells and be interrupted while casting and be limited to a tiny few spells, and then those same people complained that the caster was OP when all the annoying elements were excised.

You got what you asked for. Enjoy it.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
The key to restoring the balance of high level fighters versus casters isn't to increase the power of fighters, it is to reign the casters back in with the pile of difficulties they were saddled with in the early design. Everyone thought it wasn't fun to track components and have to roll to learn spells and be interrupted while casting and be limited to a tiny few spells, and then those same people complained that the caster was OP when all the annoying elements were excised.

Boom!

Goes the truth bomb

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But what philosophy? Fighters are supposed to suck? How is that a philosophy? I personally cannot comprehend a game that is designed that way.

In an other thread, there is a decent personality inventory that lists the D&D classes that a person might enjoy.

Different people enjoy different class concepts. It seems unethical to make certain classes inferior, because it interferes with the participation and power dynamics among reallife players.

Every class should roughly balance across every tier at every level.

Gaming balance matters.
I'm not saying it doesn't. But magic can do things not-magic can't. If you insist on sticking with mundane, eventually there will come a point when you can't keep up and maintain verisimilitude IMO.

Strangely enough, many Fighter fans also want the Fighter to suck.

I don't that we want them to suck, but I do share the feeling that playing a fighter is basically playing in "Hard Mode" without all the cheats available to magic characters. I would be happy to see the class split into two with one class being the "Hard Mode" character and the other class being the martial superhero that so many other players really want. I don't really care which one is called the "Fighter" as long as there is an option available for the type of player who wants a simple warrior with no bells or whistles.... even stuff like Action Surge feels a bit too much... I would prefer simple numerical bonuses for hitting, damage, saves and skills to bring it up to baseline competency.

Remathilis

Legend

Yes, rather than make fighters more fun, let's make both fighters AND magic users a chore to play.

Remove ads

Remove ads