• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC: Get Rid of the Tactical Encounter Format

Dausuul

Legend
I like the two-booklet idea. If that's not feasible (I imagine boxed sets are both more expensive to make and harder to sell), how about using the Digital Initiative to fix the problem? If we could enter a code from the book and get a downloadable .PDF with the tactical stuff separated out, we could print it off or keep it open on a laptop and get the benefit of multiple booklets.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Nebulous said:
Star Wars Dawn of Defiance does the same thing, and i also greatly dislike the flipping back and forth. I'm considering just reshuffling my papers and putting them side by side. Not so easy with a printed book ;)

Yes, exactly.

I dont mind the new encounter format but as someone who likes PDF adventures it would be better for people like me who print out the adventures and are able to organize the pages as they see fit or create a separate booklet with the encounter details.

I own the new Ravenloft and Greyhawk books in HC and see how the new format might be an issue for some people. Not really an issue for me (nothing post-its wont solve) but I could easily see how this could drive some people batty.

JoeGKushner

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Btw, one other problem I noticed with the current 3.5 version. There are sometimes conflicts between information in the descriptive section and the tactical section, especially the map. If it were all on one or two pages, the editors would have an easier time of checking for accuracy.

Well, as they've said about monster design in 4e, "Editing is more of an art than a science." :p

morbiczer

First Post
Henry said:
Personally, I dislike the new format so much, I refuse to buy any of the newer products using it, and have done so for the past year. Ravenloft, Castle Greyhawk, Demonweb Pits -- all books I was interested in, but didn't want to deal with that godawful formatting of "half the info in front, half in back," so I passed them by, and if I ever want to run them I'll extrapolate off the old ones. I've mentioned it before, even when people were touting its praises. It reeks!

QFT.

I think I'll sooner or later buy the Greyhawk adventure, but that's probably it. The "new" adventure format simply sucks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads