• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC GregB: Alchemy

LostInTheMists

First Post
From Greg Bilsland's Blog on Gleemax, regarding Alchemy:

I noticed in a recent thread on ENworld discussing alchemy items in response to a GRZ video. Alchemy items are indeed treated like rituals, however, the product that the ritual produces is treated much like a magic item. Like magic items, alchemy items will scale with levels. This means that even though you’re paragon or epic tier, you can still use your recipe to produce a tanglefoot bag, alchemist’s fire, or thunderstone that can compete with your enemies’ defenses. In my mind, this makes an alchemist-themed character a viable build, and I’d be eager to see a paragon path devoted to such a thing. In fact, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe I’ll see if Chris Youngs will let me write something like that for DDI.

Last edited:

Mort_Q

First Post
Makes me wonder if Artificer would work better as a style of play rather than an actual class. I really need to see how all the various magic items are treated and what became of UMD. Hurry up June!!!

catsclaw227

First Post
Greg Bilsland's Blog said:
I noticed in a recent thread on ENworld discussing alchemy items in response to a GRZ video. Alchemy items are indeed treated like rituals, however, the product that the ritual produces is treated much like a magic item. Like magic items, alchemy items will scale with levels. This means that even though you’re paragon or epic tier, you can still use your recipe to produce a tanglefoot bag, alchemist’s fire, or thunderstone that can compete with your enemies’ defenses. In my mind, this makes an alchemist-themed character a viable build, and I’d be eager to see a paragon path devoted to such a thing. In fact, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe I’ll see if Chris Youngs will let me write something like that for DDI.
This sounds rather cool. I have had more than one PC in my campaigns start out making alchemical items, only to drop the concept because it didn't scale well in 3.5.

muffin_of_chaos

First Post
Ran a 3.0 1st-level one-shot years ago where the deadliest character in the group was an Aristocrat who had bought a bunch of Alchemist's Fire.

Belphanior

First Post
I have just become twice as stoked about 4e than I already was. I shall look forward to that alchemist path. Because my favoritest character ever was a "mad scientist" kind of person. If I can tinker around with laboratories and napalm I shall be very, very happy indeed. :D

Stalker0

Legend
Belphanior said:
I have just become twice as stoked about 4e than I already was. I shall look forward to that alchemist path. Because my favoritest character ever was a "mad scientist" kind of person. If I can tinker around with laboratories and napalm I shall be very, very happy indeed. :D

Yeah, the alchemist was an archetype that was never well represented in 3e. hopefully that will change in 4e.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Glorious! That's always been a real sticking point for me in 3.5--who uses alchemical items (other than sunrods, and maybe tanglefoot bags) past level 3 or so?

Ktulu

First Post
The best part is you don't HAVE to be a wizard. Now the rogue/assassin can know a few tricks to help him escape his enemies, provided he has time to brew it up.

Definitely brings to mind the alchemist fire from Game of Thrones.

Ktulu

Shroomy

Adventurer
Very cool...Now if we can get Nicholas Logue to update his Charlatan PRC (one of my favorites from Dragon) for 4e as a paragon path, I'll be in hog heaven.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads