• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC "In the Works" Dragonlance Minotaurs

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kai Lord said:

I am surprised they didn't get a Con bonus, however.
They probably didn't think they need it, now that they reduced their size from Large to Medium-sized, and added natural armor bonus to compensate the average constitution score rating.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
feet not Hooves!

if you check the otherworlds forum (dragonlance), there's a thread in which one of the designers basically said "ARGH! Feet not hooves!"

it's the anti-animal farm chant: Feet not Hooves!

DwarvenBrew

First Post
Re: This makey-no sense!

Spiteful Dwarf said:
I've always had a problem trying to visualize a bovine-people who were at home with the sea... Don't their massive horns and cloven hooves make a teetering ship, strewn with ropes and junk, a little dangerous? Especially when you factor in their apparent lack of dexterity.

It's been a LONG time since I looked at Dragonlance, but IIRC, the Minortaurs were forced from the mainland and built their civilization among a chain of islands off of NE(?) Ansalon. In essence, they are forced to be proficient sea-faring people whether they would chose to be or not.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Re: Re: This makey-no sense!

DwarvenBrew said:

It's been a LONG time since I looked at Dragonlance, but IIRC, the Minortaurs were forced from the mainland and built their civilization among a chain of islands off of NE(?) Ansalon. In essence, they are forced to be proficient sea-faring people whether they would chose to be or not.

They were a sea-faring people even before the first Cataclysm tore their empire away from the mainland.

Neowolf

First Post
Is anyone else bothered by this?

From the "Personality" section:

"Minotaurs value strength, cunning, and intelligence. The ultimate test of all three virtues is conducted in the Great Circus, an annual contest held in a gladiatorial arena."

From the racial stats:

"+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Minotaurs are large and powerful, but not very agile. From youth, minotaurs focus on developing their muscles over their minds. Minotaur arrogance can be offensive to other races."

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Neowolf said:
Is anyone else bothered by this?

From the "Personality" section:

"Minotaurs value strength, cunning, and intelligence. The ultimate test of all three virtues is conducted in the Great Circus, an annual contest held in a gladiatorial arena."

From the racial stats:

"+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Minotaurs are large and powerful, but not very agile. From youth, minotaurs focus on developing their muscles over their minds. Minotaur arrogance can be offensive to other races."

Well they would value intelligence more if the general amount of intelligence among their populace was lower. :rolleyes:

Keith

First Post
Spiteful Dwarf said:
I've always had a problem trying to visualize a bovine-people who were at home with the sea... Don't their massive horns and cloven hooves make a teetering ship, strewn with ropes and junk, a little dangerous? Especially when you factor in their apparent lack of dexterity.

"How horrible were the moos of death as yon ancient mariner had to listen to his comrades of beefy ability instead become able cutlets of beef."

I think that is an incisive observation; Minotaur mariners seem laughable...

That is also the funniest joke I have seen on ENWorld, by a long way! Nice one. Not to offend, but most of the jokes on here...whoa...:)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yes, I have seen pics of Krynn minotuars both with hooves and with feet; the idea of a bipedal creature with hooves just flies against plausibility to me in a big way. No cloven hooved bipedal creature without a source of magic could even hope to stay on a ship's deck!

The horns I don't have a problem with. But da hooves have got ta go! (Thank goodness the designers thought so too.)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Henry said:
Yes, I have seen pics of Krynn minotuars both with hooves and with feet; the idea of a bipedal creature with hooves just flies against plausibility to me in a big way. No cloven hooved bipedal creature without a source of magic could even hope to stay on a ship's deck!

The horns I don't have a problem with. But da hooves have got ta go! (Thank goodness the designers thought so too.)

I always figured Krynnish minotaurs had both variations of feet being a race created by magical merging. And the Elmore minotaur does look quite dexterous:
land.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads