• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC is going online. What do you want the digital initiative to be?

Hussar

Legend
Actually, I would say that that's a big sticking point. If it is completely browser based, it shouldn't be a problem, but, if there are downloadable programs, I would hope that it works on all systems.

Then again, so long as it works in Firefox, I'm content. :)

DragOnline. That's not bad. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hussar,

Yeah I mean it would be nice if we didn't have issues just cause we LIKE a browser that isn't Windows supported. :p

Sure we can't add Money angels in there some where too Hussar? ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Moogle,

I prefer to spread the money angel and "I'm the half divine agent of the Scarred Lands and half fiend son of Orcus" virus around more.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If they're going to take the game online...I mean *really* whole-hog online...then there's a wealth of opportunity, if only because they're *not* bound by what can be squashed into a monthly magazine or even into several large books The sky's the limit! So, in no particular order:

**Support for ALL editions of the game. (OK, that one *is* in order; it's first!)
**Adventures covering all levels, all editions.
**Conversion aids for those trying to convert something from any edition to any other.
**Revival and support for out of print setting e.g. Birthright, Mystara.
**Logical sorting of past articles etc. e.g. all the Ecologies in one place.
**Random generation tables for anything that might ever need it - spells, treasure, monsters, anything where the tables are unwieldy enough that a computer can do it better than pen and paper.
**Rulings included where they belong...e.g. if a particular spell has been ruled to work "x" way, that ruling appears with the spell description (they could use M:tG's Gatherer as a working model here). Same for feats, skills, etc.
** [lots of other good ideas posted already by others, above]

And to be really idealistic, include places for input from us the players...our homebrew spells, our redesigned deities, and so on...as a recognition of the living game outside the WotC walls. :)

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
And to be really idealistic, include places for input from us the players...our homebrew spells, our redesigned deities, and so on...as a recognition of the living game outside the WotC walls.

What I could easily see is a wiki for this sort of thing. That would be a perfect gathering place for all the material that is already posted on their boards and a collection point for new material. I mean, I started playing a binder, so I checked out the WOTC boards for Vestige ideas. There was already a huge archive of vestiges already created and critiqued.

I'm not sure if we'll see active support for OOP stuff, but, it could happen. Certainly community support is possible.

Corinth

First Post
thedungeondelver said:

I want them to, no-holds-barred, drag D&D into the abyssfuture and make it nigh-impossible to play the game without a laptop and internet connection. I want DM's to need to have some kind of pay subscription to "digitally enhanced" parts of the DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE. I want it to be impossible for "pick up games" to be done without having the online (and I mean on-line only) DRM-protected content available. I want the game to leap forward to being 3/4ths massively multiplayer. I want advancing your character or ratcheting up your campaign a level of difficulty to be part of a "premium cost" section of the game, so you'll have to break out that Visa card (because they won't take American Express).

I want people who's first experience with D&D is this new "digitial initiative" directive to look at pen-and-paper only versions of the game in absolute bafflement when they're told that the people playing them are playing D&D.

When someone says "Poly" I want the next crop of D&D players to think "-gon", not "hedron".

They could call it "World of Warcraft"! Oh wait...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.

Remove ads