• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Miniatures

What is your prime motivator for buying D&D minis?

• For use in regular D&D games

Votes: 180 70.9%
  • For use with the miniatures skirmish rules

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Both, but D&D prominent

Votes: 34 13.4%
  • Both, but Skirmish rules prominent

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Undecided (WotC has miniatures???)

Votes: 11 4.3%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
On ENworld, the role-players hang out. :)

On the Wizards boards, I think the D&D Miniatures forum is more skirmish based.

From what I've heard from Rob and Mike, the Skirmish game is growing in popularity.

Cheers!

diaglo

Adventurer
WotC sells minis? :confused:

those pieces of plastic don't count as minis if you are a true wargamer.

and they don't count as minis if you are a roleplayer.

basically they don't count.

Cerubus Dark

First Post
My god how you are correct. I have people who come to the shop just to play the D&D minis games, of course we are DCI sanctioned (DCI for a mini game?) and some have gotten all miffed that we did not have the freaking cardboard time maps yet....

Go figure...

Big Jake

First Post
On the new Paizo boards, there was a question of more D&D miniatures to be included in Undefeated, and the response was something like...

A lot of people buy the minis, but not all of them play the skirmish game.

I don't know if they have actual demographics on how many people are playing, but I do think that it is becoming more popular. There are people that play D&D minis ever week here.

As for myself, I buy for my D&D game. I have only played a couple of skirmishes. And I may play more, but I don't collect them with the intent of making a better warband.

I like the game... I had a lot of fun playing, but I was surprised on how long it actually takes to run a 100-point game, and it kind of turned me off. And now I see warbands of 200 and 300 points... I hear that all of the tournaments (here at least) end on time restrictions, vice actually scoring the requisite points, or totally disbanding the opponents.

-------------

However, I recently had all of my miniatures maps (including many from issues of Dragon and Dungeon), and I want to run some 50-point gladiator matches (no tiles) on my nice arena map!

Quirthanon

First Post
I have to agree, these minis are so poorly done that I don't want them. When I've looked at examples in the store the thin plastic pieces are useally bent and the painting is really, really, bad.

Gez

First Post
Never bought any, so I don't use them.

When I'll have a job I may buy some, but I'm wary of the "random & collectible" aspect. I don't want to waste money on a "Pokéminis: the Gathering" game.

Seeker95

First Post
The anti-D&D-figures crowd is so off base here, and I suspect it has less to you with objective observation than prejudice (at least diaglo's prejudice is tongue-in-cheek consistent).

The plastic minis are fantastic in every way. They cost less. They're lighter. They come pre-painted. They're available in a wide variety.

The D&D minis don't require me to be independently wealthy, strong as an ox, or artistically inclined. And I don't have to look for hours on end at row upon row of nearly identical pieces of faded pewter in order to find the one mini that will be "good enough" for my next adventure pieces.

I have no interest in the miniatures game, but the minis easily add the third dimension to my games -- visual placement. I don't have to have them, but I am very glad to have them anyway.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
I might consider buying them if 1) I could be assured of getting only what I want (screw this randomizing crap), 2) they were of higher quality than most of the ones that I've seen (although I've been known to buy cheap plastic toys like dinosaurs and zoo animals to use in D&D) and 3) they were significantly cheaper; hell, I went to KayBee Toys and got a decent-looking 25" Red Dragon for 6 bucks, mang.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads