• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wotc online monster builder can build monsters from scratch.

Infiniti2000

First Post
So, my question is, because i would never think to use a monster builder, (the ddi - or any other format out there) does that make me too old fashioned? I mean, am I really missing out? My thinking is that those sort of programs shackle the imagination. Then i wonder, am I just yelling at the kids to get off my lawn?
I'm older than you, so age isn't your problem. Maybe it's your occupation? I suppose clearly you're not in a technical field or even education (as they're pretty much forced stay in the current times). But, yes, you're really missing out. They do the opposite of shackle the imagination. What they do is free you up from having to think of cool new monsters on the spur of the moment and allow you (the DM) to unshackle the imagination in more important ways. You can certainly always re-flavor monsters on the fly, but the crunch needs to be preplanned to work well in the encounter. Making the DM determine crunch on the fly is a really bad idea.

TheUltramark

First Post
I'm older than you, so age isn't your problem. Maybe it's your occupation? I suppose clearly you're not in a technical field or even education (as they're pretty much forced stay in the current times). But, yes, you're really missing out. They do the opposite of shackle the imagination. What they do is free you up from having to think of cool new monsters on the spur of the moment and allow you (the DM) to unshackle the imagination in more important ways. You can certainly always re-flavor monsters on the fly, but the crunch needs to be preplanned to work well in the encounter. Making the DM determine crunch on the fly is a really bad idea.
I get off on thinking up cool new monsters

I doubt I know what crunch means, exactly, but in my own case, I like to keep my plans about 4-5 encounters ahead of where the party is, plus a plan B (an entirely different 'set of encounters'). That way, if -when- the party pulls a screwball move, I can put something else down that I have thought up in advance.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I get off on thinking up cool new monsters

I doubt I know what crunch means,
Crunch means numbers, stats, things like that. You can define those ahead of time (in a software application), and then substitute your on-the-fly, cool monster re-flavoring as and when needed. Really, there's zero downside to this, even for people who don't think they want it.

The only time it wouldn't help is if you desire to create, from scratch, a brand new monster concept, including all stats, powers, etc. on-the-fly. I'd argue that that isn't possible. Even if you think you can do it, it certainly wouldn't be fast enough. "Hold on, everyone, while I stat up this monster." Even if you're that fast, it definitely wouldn't then be "good" enough. By good I mean a combination of playability, balance, interesting, etc. I think you could come up with a cool concept on the fly and reflavor existing stats, but certainly not both stats and a concept from scratch.

TheUltramark

First Post
Crunch means numbers, stats, things like that. You can define those ahead of time (in a software application), and then substitute your on-the-fly, cool monster re-flavoring as and when needed. Really, there's zero downside to this, even for people who don't think they want it.

The only time it wouldn't help is if you desire to create, from scratch, a brand new monster concept, including all stats, powers, etc. on-the-fly. I'd argue that that isn't possible. Even if you think you can do it, it certainly wouldn't be fast enough. "Hold on, everyone, while I stat up this monster." Even if you're that fast, it definitely wouldn't then be "good" enough. By good I mean a combination of playability, balance, interesting, etc. I think you could come up with a cool concept on the fly and reflavor existing stats, but certainly not both stats and a concept from scratch.

I guess i see what you are saying, but i have never been in a position where I had to "stat up" a monster on the spot. Like I had said, I am usually well ahead of the party by several encounters, and I always have a plan b up my sleeve. I come up with the cool idea for a monster and usually wait to use it for several weeks (sessions) letting more and more ideas into the monster until i think its ready, then I put it in a specific place in my adventure, sometimes its in the next couple of encounters, sometimes its not til the end of the next adventure.

Honestly, I tend to wing things a good bit, and I've never statted up a whole monster on the fly either. OTOH I've built some from scratch in MB and really it isn't that much different from modifying an existing one. All the basic numbers are derived from level/role/type anyway.

Scribble

First Post
Monster builder is just a tool. It doesn't make you more creative and it doesn't make you less creative. Just like a guitar doesn't make you able to play music, or cause you to no longer be able to make music.

I personally think it helps me more easily throw something together without a lot of extra work... But if I'm not feeling creative it's not going to fix that. :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
I guess i see what you are saying, but i have never been in a position where I had to "stat up" a monster on the spot.
We've had a miscommunication then, my apologies. When you said the following, I inferred that you were statting things up on the fly. In the case of pregenerating all your monsters, then there's zero downside to the tool. I therefore have no idea why you think they shackle the imagination. You can create monsters from scratch, or not, as you see fit.

I have my monster book pdf's with my handy dandy snapshot tool, and old reliable mspaint, and whatever template/level up/creating/or reinventing stuff I also need open and ready to look at...and viola...instant monsters.

Remove ads