• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WOTC Possibly Removing "Druids" for Religious/Cultural Sensitivity Reasons

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There was humor there?
Maybe, overlying a valid (if probably unworkable) suggestion to rename all the classes using made-up words. Kind of along the same lines as when 2e renamed devils and demons, only for different reasons.

Advantage (to the IP holders anyway): those made-up class names could then be copyrighted.
Disadvantage (to the users): loss of familiarity.
Disadvantage (to the IP holders): most people would likely go on using the already-familiar names anyway. Odds are high I'd be one of them. :)

MGibster

Legend
Maybe, overlying a valid (if probably unworkable) suggestion to rename all the classes using made-up words. Kind of along the same lines as when 2e renamed devils and demons, only for different reasons.
This is the Games Workshop approach. I don't call them the Astra Militarum, they're still the Imperial Guard to me. A lot of companies that produce paint for the miniatures market also does this. Instead of just calling it Green they'll name a color Cultist Robe or a yellow Zealot Yellow. Hats off to Monument Hobbies who gives us normal names like Transparent Yellow, Pale Pink, and Bright Pale Green.

I guess there can be some friction when some people see problems with a name and other do not. I can at least see why some people aren't happy with Shaman in that I can follow their argument even if I don't necessarily agree. But if people are genuinely offended by the use of Barbarian or Druid, I just don't care in the slightest to make any concessions there. But if D&D ever decides to change the names, I'm not going to get overly upset. It's just a game.

Remove ads