• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WOTC Possibly Removing "Druids" for Religious/Cultural Sensitivity Reasons

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I'm curious, was there any particular reason they removed Magic User and Thief? I kind of get the negative connotation associated with Thief, but why get rid of Magic User?
Aesthetics, I think. It's just a clunky name which was originally chosen to be generic. Because in 1974 OD&D there were only three classes, and two of them were EXTREMELY broad archetypes, Fighting-Man and Magic-User, intended to each cover a wide range of concepts.

The Magic-User encompassed all wizards, warlocks, mages, sorcerers, witches, seers, wonder-workers, and any other user of magic not specifically granted by a deity. The Fighting Man covered soldiers, knights, mercenaries, duelists, swordsman thieves like the Grey Mouser, and literally every other kind of adventurer who DIDN'T cast magic spells.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm curious, was there any particular reason they removed Magic User and Thief? I kind of get the negative connotation associated with Thief, but why get rid of Magic User?
Thief was too specific, the class was also a sort of scout and opportunistic killer, in addition to the negative connotation, while Rogue encompasses all that and more, while having a positive-to-old-timey-edgy connotation. Things like 'lovable,' affable, and 'with a heart of gold' get appended to Rogue all the time. ;) Besides, Warlock and Sorcerer are loaded with negative connotations, and that didn't stop them from being 1e level titles or 3.x classes.

Magic-User, like Fighter, OTOH, was too generic and didn't evoke genre the way Wizard, like Hero, would have. (ironically, in Arneson's original 'fantasy game' there were two classes - Hero & Wizard)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think this illustrates a problem in that no matter what word you choose you're likely stepping on someone's toes.
Which is precisely why I would generally advocate for using the terms that are most closely associated with fantasy game jargon overall.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Priest IS the broad, culturally agnostic term.
No, it's not. speaking as a Catholic here.

priest​

noun

ˈprēst

pluralpriests
Synonyms of priest
: someone who is authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God
specifically : an Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, or Roman Catholic clergyperson ranking below a bishop and above a deacon

edit and even ignoring that, do you really want to use a term with so much baggage? It would be a distraction from the game.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No, it's not. speaking as a Catholic here.

priest​

noun

ˈprēst

pluralpriests
Synonyms of priest
: someone who is authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God
specifically : an Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, or Roman Catholic clergyperson ranking below a bishop and above a deacon
Yea, gotta agree with @Sacrosanct here. The most agnostic English term would probably be "clergy"?

The most agnostic game term for the archetype would probably be "healer", "white mage", or "cleric".

Remove ads