• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC president Greg Leeds and I!!!

am181d

Adventurer
A good line of question might be this:

"I understand why you might want to stop releasing new PDFs, as this would at least slow the creation of illegal torrents, but what was the purpose behind taking down older PDFs which are already available on the torrent sites?"

If you get an answer like, "Well, we're rethinking our whole strategy from the top down," you can follow up with: "But, in the meantime, why was it necessary to cut off access to older PDFs? Are you at all concerned that you're cutting off a potential revenue stream?"

And: "Do you worry that the decisions you're making now (to eliminate a legal channel for purchasing PDFs) may actually increase piracy, both in the short and long term?"

Jack99

Adventurer
My suggestions for Mr. Leeds?

#1: Make the DDI like unto a God. Put older editions in the compendium. Older rules references. Older books we can read right on the site. Who the heck wouldn't pay $10/month to be able to search every word of text ever printed in a D&D rulebook? To be able to roll on 1e tables right there? To search for "The Escathon, Planescape" and get everything that mentions them.

Mr. Leeds: People would give you piles of money to do this. Do this. Make piles of money doing it. Laugh all the way to the bank and the next shareholder's meeting, and give them all the bird, because they will crown you king of the money pile when you unite some millions of D&D fans under a single roof that channels part of their paychecks to you every month. Every D&D player with a computer will be visiting your website and giving you money.

#2: Stop Being Scared of Pirates. Grow a pair. Absolutely seriously. The pirates can't kill you. D&D (and books in general) aren't the music industry. No one cares if the PHBII shows up on torrent sites a week after it's released. You're never going to get cheapskates and scofflaws to pay. These aren't lost sales, they're more like market data, showing you what people in general are interested in. Most people -- most consumers -- want to give you money for awesome stuff. Let them. Make it easy for them. Let them do whatever they want with what they buy.

#3: Sell A Friggin' T-Shirt Or Something. The D&D brand is much stronger than just the books. Why can't I buy a "Jesus Saves (and takes half damage)" shirt at the WotC store? Why can't I walk around with the D&D logo emblazoned on my boxer shorts? Why can't I buy a print of some D&D artwork and slap it in a frame and stick it up on my wall? Even if I friggin' hate a given edition, I might be all "OMG SEXY ELF POSTER" and get it anyway. If WEBCOMIC ARTISTS can do this, why cant you? Bonus point: this stuff has a huge profit margin, and isn't easily pirate-able, so FRIGGIN DO IT.

#4: Start selling PDFs again, and don't charge more than $10 for them. Remind the brick-and-mortar folks that PDF's aren't books, and that you're giving them shirts and posters and Designer-hosted gamedays or whatever, so they can shove a dice bag in it. It's not your job to keep them in business, it's your job to sell D&D. You do this by selling PDF, 'cuz some folks just won't do it in other ways. And you sell them not for the same price as a hardcover book, because people aren't idiots. For bonus points, this means you'll get a lot of people buying the same book twice, and only grousing about it mildly. "grumble grumble don't wanna will do so anyway" kind of stuff. If they don't want to buy it twice, they don't have to -- they'll find ways around it, and you can let them. A $10 convenience isn't a big deal for most folks.

#5: Embrace Open Gaming. WotC invented that junk, and it rocks. The GSL makes everyone's mouths taste like doodie. Friggin' go OGL already. You don't need to put everything online for free like 3e did, because you don't need an SRD: just designate some of your rules content as open. That's all. Lead the industry again, man!

#6: Gaming Groups are your Recruitment Tool. People get into D&D by joining existing groups, by and large. By meeting folks who already play and thinking it might be kind of neat. Make this easy. I don't know exactly how you go about that, but if you're going to grow your player base, you must do this. Free Idea: link it to the gaming stores, who will then sex you up for giving them fresh customer meat in their physical store.

I am not very diplomatic, so I assume you can put these in less abrasive terms. This is why I am a dude on the message boards and not a CEO. All of these are things the CEO of WotC should be taking into account.

I should also say the Print-On-Demand idea is pretty ding dang good.

Friggin' awesome that you got to do this. Lucky it wound up you and not me. ;)

I fully endorse this.

njorgard

First Post
Truer words...

My suggestions for Mr. Leeds?

#1: Make the DDI like unto a God. Put older editions in the compendium. Older rules references. Older books we can read right on the site. Who the heck wouldn't pay $10/month to be able to search every word of text ever printed in a D&D rulebook? To be able to roll on 1e tables right there? To search for "The Escathon, Planescape" and get everything that mentions them.

Mr. Leeds: People would give you piles of money to do this. Do this. Make piles of money doing it. Laugh all the way to the bank and the next shareholder's meeting, and give them all the bird, because they will crown you king of the money pile when you unite some millions of D&D fans under a single roof that channels part of their paychecks to you every month. Every D&D player with a computer will be visiting your website and giving you money.

#2: Stop Being Scared of Pirates. Grow a pair. Absolutely seriously. The pirates can't kill you. D&D (and books in general) aren't the music industry. No one cares if the PHBII shows up on torrent sites a week after it's released. You're never going to get cheapskates and scofflaws to pay. These aren't lost sales, they're more like market data, showing you what people in general are interested in. Most people -- most consumers -- want to give you money for awesome stuff. Let them. Make it easy for them. Let them do whatever they want with what they buy.

#3: Sell A Friggin' T-Shirt Or Something. The D&D brand is much stronger than just the books. Why can't I buy a "Jesus Saves (and takes half damage)" shirt at the WotC store? Why can't I walk around with the D&D logo emblazoned on my boxer shorts? Why can't I buy a print of some D&D artwork and slap it in a frame and stick it up on my wall? Even if I friggin' hate a given edition, I might be all "OMG SEXY ELF POSTER" and get it anyway. If WEBCOMIC ARTISTS can do this, why cant you? Bonus point: this stuff has a huge profit margin, and isn't easily pirate-able, so FRIGGIN DO IT.

#4: Start selling PDFs again, and don't charge more than $10 for them. Remind the brick-and-mortar folks that PDF's aren't books, and that you're giving them shirts and posters and Designer-hosted gamedays or whatever, so they can shove a dice bag in it. It's not your job to keep them in business, it's your job to sell D&D. You do this by selling PDF, 'cuz some folks just won't do it in other ways. And you sell them not for the same price as a hardcover book, because people aren't idiots. For bonus points, this means you'll get a lot of people buying the same book twice, and only grousing about it mildly. "grumble grumble don't wanna will do so anyway" kind of stuff. If they don't want to buy it twice, they don't have to -- they'll find ways around it, and you can let them. A $10 convenience isn't a big deal for most folks.

#5: Embrace Open Gaming. WotC invented that junk, and it rocks. The GSL makes everyone's mouths taste like doodie. Friggin' go OGL already. You don't need to put everything online for free like 3e did, because you don't need an SRD: just designate some of your rules content as open. That's all. Lead the industry again, man!

#6: Gaming Groups are your Recruitment Tool. People get into D&D by joining existing groups, by and large. By meeting folks who already play and thinking it might be kind of neat. Make this easy. I don't know exactly how you go about that, but if you're going to grow your player base, you must do this. Free Idea: link it to the gaming stores, who will then sex you up for giving them fresh customer meat in their physical store.

I am not very diplomatic, so I assume you can put these in less abrasive terms. This is why I am a dude on the message boards and not a CEO. All of these are things the CEO of WotC should be taking into account.

I should also say the Print-On-Demand idea is pretty ding dang good.

Friggin' awesome that you got to do this. Lucky it wound up you and not me. ;)

This post by KM echoes my sentiments exactly...

KM: You say you are not a diplomat, but you sure know how to make a point!

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I don't agree with KM.

I will not, and I will not advocate, having to pay month-to-month to use old D&D products, whether it's the last 3.5 book released a year and change ago or whether it's a copy of CHAINMAIL.

Not no, but hell no.

Sell them via print-on-demand, or find another way to sell PDFs, or don't do it at all.

Right up until someone came up with the cockamamie "DDI" the money folks spent on RPGs was, in itself "evergreen". I might have $1500 worth of Dwarven Forge on the shelf behind me but unlike $1500 worth of (bad) movies (for example) I get my value from it again and again. Likewise my D&D books (and all the other RPGs).

Dipping into my wallet every month and asking me to pay for the privledge? Uh, no thanks. D&D isn't cable service, it isn't a magazine, or a newspaper. Hell it's not even NETFLIX. If the argument is "yes but these are electronic versions and are therefore software and we need a new model" then throw out the idea of them being electronic. Print-on-demand and let me, the consumer, and a $25 flatbed scanner sort out the difficulties of getting it on the computer.

Halivar

First Post
I think it's a little late to put the cat back in the bag, tdd. The fact is that the DDI model is successful for WotC because so many of us approve of it with our monthly subscription $$. Hoping that they'll suddenly drop that model for another, less profitable one, is purely wishful thinking. It won't happen.

EDIT: What I would kill for is access to all previously published adventures. Some of those are treasure troves, and are hard to get a hold of.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
I think it's a little late to put the cat back in the bag, tdd. The fact is that the DDI model is successful for WotC because so many of us approve of it with our monthly subscription $$. Hoping that they'll suddenly drop that model for another, less profitable one, is purely wishful thinking. It won't happen.

EDIT: What I would kill for is access to all previously published adventures. Some of those are treasure troves, and are hard to get a hold of.

Bear in mind that it's a fine line between $5 for Dungeon, Dragon and the CB and $15/$20 for all content. I would cease my subscription at that point because I don't really play older editions (except 3.5, and I have the books for those). I like the proposed PoD idea, it would allow me to order some of the older modules that I might want to read for nostalgia sake, but I don't want to pay a higher fee every month to be able to do so.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I mostly endorse it. Everything but #1. No way in Hell would I pay a monthly fee for access to older D&D products. PoD sure. PDF sales, sure. DDI subscription to access 'em...nope.
This.

I want to own my RPG materials (PDF, or preferrably dead tree) not rent them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads