• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Replies: Statements by WotC employees regarding Dragon/Dungeon going online

Friadoc

Explorer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Yeah, there's a lot of chicken-little-ism going around, but that is to be understood. People want their magazines.

I have every confidence that this online format will be amazing, but this sudden, abrupt change wasn't the best way to go about it. Show us what we're going to get before you take away what we already have.

Most definately, I mean, that's how they handled the 3e notification once the time came, we had about a year or so to prepare.

Well, some of us had more, either through reading Eric's stuff, or having been a playtester; Although I was the later, I also read Eric's stuff, too, just because I could. :D

Heck, one of my old e-mail archives still have the acceptance e-mail from Kim Mohan letting me know that my gaming group had been selected for the playtest.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
So now its a crime not to have been a life-long gamer?

I love the rational ideas being thrown around today.

If so, then I'll just have to head off to prison..... :\

Not thrilled to hear the demise of Dragon (the one I get of the two). At least I got this before I sent off the check for my renewal. I'll just have to get them in the store until the run ends. Then see what else is out there, I guess. Dunno if I'd want electronic format of them as I find it alot easier to flip thru a book or magazine than flipping thru a pdf file.

Friadoc

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Your mistake is in assuming it has to be one or the other. No one bemoans Wizards wanting to do stuff on-line, we're annoyed that not only did they drag their feet in letting Paizo do stuff electronically, they now kill the paper product in favor of a pure-digital play, which *no one* has manged to do successfully yet.

They could have chosen to keep both going in such a way that they complemented each other. This path is short-sighted and greedy, and I have yet to see any persuasive argument otherwise.

I don't know if I'd say, or agree to that part that no one has been able to do it, yet.

Steve Jackson Games has, not only do they have, seemingly, the oldest blog known to date, but they have had three e-zines total (Pyramid, Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society, and d20 Weekly), with only one of them having been folded down into the other (d20 Weekly was ended and folded into Pyramid).

Not only is Pyramid, I think, pretty successful, they do have a good working model in that you have access to ALL articles, past, present, and future (as they're published) when you have a membership.

My only complaint, ever, about their model is that when your membership expires, you loose access to everything that came out while you had said membership, BUT if you just renew, it's all there, so it's not much of a complaint.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh for the love of Pete! Rarely have I seen such an embarrassing display of drama queenery and hyperbole.

It's just a couple of magazines, and they will continue to be published online rather than on paper. A press released was issued explaining it by both companies, who both agree it was amicably done. A follow-up long explanation press release was then issued by WOTC while Paizo came on the boards to directly explain that everything is fine, both companies have good plans for the future, and nothing is being killed or ditched, and now we will have twice as much material being published in the future.

And yet many of you sound like you want to commit Seppuku, describe feelings of physical pain and mourning like someone important to you has died, and want to string up some fellow gamers who work for Wizards no matter what they say or how they say it.

Some of y'all need to chill out and stop being such narcissists and drama queens.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I can't believe Kim Mohan, of all people, would be so non-chalant about it.

The thing with Dragon is, even for those like me who didn't read its modern incarnation, it has a continuity going all the way back to the birth of role-playing games, and that means something, no matter what RPG you play. Maybe I'm being too sentimental.

Friadoc

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Oh for the love of Pete! Rarely have I seen such an embarrassing display of drama queenery and hyperbole.

*clipped out the important and on topic pieces so as to make humoristic point*

Some of y'all need to chill out and stop being such narcissists and drama queens.

*grins*

Thank goodness, Mistwell, for your level-headed and even keeled approuch. :lol:

I'm just teasing, it's just funny to read it, the opening and closing, given the context, that's all, hopefully you can see the humor of it. ;)

Mistwell said:

Uh, bite me? While there have been over the top statements, for the most part things have been pretty rational. Compare to the 4th Ed rumours just prior to GenCon last year.

And if this doesn't affect you, stay out of the threads.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Friadoc said:
*grins*

Thank goodness, Mistwell, for your level-headed and even keeled approuch. :lol:

I'm just teasing, it's just funny to read it, the opening and closing, given the context, that's all, hopefully you can see the humor of it. ;)

I gotcha ;)

BryonD

Hero
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Uh, bite me? While there have been over the top statements, for the most part things have been pretty rational. Compare to the 4th Ed rumours just prior to GenCon last year.

And if this doesn't affect you, stay out of the threads.
"Pretty rational"?????

...goes back to yesterday's mega-thread......

Sorry, but Mistwell's got the right of this one.

I'm bummed to see the end of a physical Dragon magazine and I doubt that WotC can improve on the product Paizo is making. But as yesterday became ever more hysterical I found those details harder and harder to keep in mind.

Mistwell said:
A press released was issued explaining it by both companies, who both agree it was amicably done. A follow-up long explanation press release was then issued by WOTC while Paizo came on the boards to directly explain that everything is fine, both companies have good plans for the future, and nothing is being killed or ditched, and now we will have twice as much material being published in the future.
. . .

It's obvious you've never worked for a large organization.

When the division exec of my division at a LARGE corporation got fired for sleeping with two subordinates (warned off the first time by the CEO, his wife went to Board of Directors the second time telling them how embarrassing it would be for this to come out, much like the Boeing CEO being fired a few months earlier for sleeping with one of his married subordinates), miserably failing to deliver results, got us sued for sexual harassment, and doubling the employee turnover (that would be number of people quitting) in his division in just a year of mismanagement, do you know what the press release said?

It said: <<exec name redacted for legal reasons>> and <<company name redacted for legal reasons>> have decided to part ways. We wish him well.

That fact that didn't give the usual platitudes when an exec or politician is fired ("He's decided to spend more time with his family" and/or "We wish him well in his new ventures") made it the rudest exec-firing letter me or my co-workers had ever seen.

There's zero reason to assume Paizo is happy about this. Corporations don't ever say when they are pissed off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads