• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Replies: Statements by WotC employees regarding Dragon/Dungeon going online

JeffB

Legend
BadMojo said:
I work in Customer Service.....

You have my sympathy :)

.... As you pointed out, the designers and other creative folks aren't in any way obligated to take the fallout from this whole thing. I'm not necessarily sure that everyone on EnWorld is going to make the same distinction that you did.

Quite right, unfortunately....

But thats what the Marketing guys get paid big bucks to do, and they should be on the WOTC boards AND here, so you and other CS folk are not up to your ears in all that "stuff", and neither are the consumers.

I can understand that WOTC may not want to reveal *too* much about this new initiaitve. I understand the business aspect here...however, any good marketing team will have *something* to help curb the villagers from setting their torches alight and get the pitchforks firmly planted on the ground instead of waving to and fro.

And if WOTC marketing absolutey did NOT think there would be this kind of negative reaction, quite frankly, they need some marketing 101 refreshers.

BadMojo

First Post
Nightfall said:
Kheti,

Maybe they've had internet access problems.

Maybe someone spilled some Red Bull on the WotC servers causing a chain reaction that led to an Intarweb outage in the greater Seattle area...it could happen. :D

Anyway, I do agree that some perspective is in order here. The passing of Tom Moldvay managed to stay on the front page of the message boards for a few hours. That's an infinitely greater tragedy than the cancellation of a magazine.

Friadoc

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
And seriously, Nightfall, are you on WOTC's payroll? You're almost being as sycophantic as Edymnion over on the WOTC boards. Come on man, don't defend these corporate stooges.

Seriously, cut with the ad hominem attacks, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're on the payroll of whom you're mad at, that's just insulting and paranoid.

Personally, I'm with Nightfall on these points AND I'm not even remotely employeed by WotC, in fact I've never been published by them or submitted items to them.

I've been very critical of their mistakes in this, but I think attacking someone who disagrees with you is not in the spirit of good debate, it's more part of the problem than the solution.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Well, the digital download generation and the green environmental groups are getting their wishes.

If wanting print magazine is wrong in this day and age, I don't want to be right.

Save your sympathy, WotC.

The trees are crying out to you...

And you call yourself a ranger? ;)

Sholari

First Post
smootrk said:
Nightfall, just kidding around but, are you getting paid for all these responses? ;) :uhoh:

Some companies do actually pay people for these things (http://payperpost.com/), though I think Nightfall is being honest in the authenticity of his viewpoint. Luckily, the FTC fairly recently has required some level of disclosure.

Last edited:

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'm the half divine agent of the Scarred Lands and the half fiend son of Orcus! :D ;)

Ha ... I had just been thinking how weird it was for the Sage of the Scarred Lands to be constantly pimping Necromancer products. Kind of like the widow who ends up marrying his dead wife's sister ;)

Shawn

Friadoc

Explorer
Shawn_Kehoe said:
Ha ... I had just been thinking how weird it was for the Sage of the Scarred Lands to be constantly pimping Necromancer products. Kind of like the widow who ends up marrying his dead wife's sister ;)

Well, if the dead wife's sister is hot, she's hot. ;)

Can't blame the man there, I mean she's hot AND a necromancer, helps keep all those zombies and ghouls his daddy gives him in line and maintained. :lol:

Friadoc

Explorer
DaveMage said:
Thanks for that link.

Thing is, I really don't see a point for the WotC people to post anyway. Since they can't say what's coming (and thus discuss the issue), there's little point in them saying anything until the fervor dies down and when they actually *can* talk about the next step.

Maybe they can't tell us exactly what is coming, but if enough people that the community trusts says things are okay, then we can error on the side of caution and wait and see if it's okay.

Thus far, a lot of names I trust, some of which who I've even corresponded with once or twice, have come out and said that things are 'okay'.

Sure, they're employees and they might be supporting their company, I'll take things with a grain of salt, but I'm not going to discount their words by default and assume they're liars or drones.

I think they've been sincere and, when we hear from more of the designers and heads, I think we'll see that they're sincere, too.

Remove ads