• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Responds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:

Even our own esteemed US Constitution protect free speech and expression, even if a particular expression does not jive with the more conservative members of society.

Ah ha, that's what I missed when I was chastising Mark...

Ranger REG, a warning to you too: we are not going to drag this into a political debate. If people start blaming "conservatives" or "the left" or whatever for stuff, that's just going to get this thread closed.

Kai Lord

Hero
Ranger REG said:

True, but should they?

That's for WOTC to decide. Should they have the right to make that decision? Certainly.

Ranger REG said:
I mean we haven't seen such restriction done from Microsoft to restrict their Windows code if someone wants to publish a Windows-compatible erotic computer games.

I'm sure those in the Linux community would shrug off any such restriction as well.

This is irrelevant to me because my moral compass is not set by Microsoft or Linux.

And I'm not against any company taking a moral stand on issues that involve their products or licenses. Not that D&D as developed by WOTC is G-rated in everything it depicts, but good for them for at least having a line to cross. I would applaud them if they decided to enforce that others do the same in future, after all it is their legal right.

mkarol

First Post
Kai Lord said:
I would applaud them if they decided to enforce that others do the same in future, after all it is their legal right.

Actually, no... no they do not. See, that is what the 'O' in OGL means... it means open and that WOTC can not tax or deny content they do not like. Now they _could_ have restricted the license at the outset. They did not. And for them to now say "Oopse, this is too far" is rather disingenuous.

Ranger REG

Explorer
EricNoah said:

Ah ha, that's what I missed when I was chastising Mark...

Ranger REG, a warning to you too: we are not going to drag this into a political debate. If people start blaming "conservatives" or "the left" or whatever for stuff, that's just going to get this thread closed.
Forgive me, but one can't help but notice that this discussion will lead into a debate of political, legal or moral nature. Nevertheless, I will cease leading this discussion toward those paths.

But I will say this in a (hopefully) neutral fashion: I personally have no concern if this product come out or what repercussion it will bring to the hobby. It is not my own cup of tea and therefore I won't buy it, but I will not chastise those who do. To each his or her own.

There is no right or wrong way to participate in a roleplaying game, just as long as no one gets hurt or coerced against their will.

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
I hope that WOTC does amend the OGL because of this product. It would be a terrible shame if anyone's first impression of D&D were coloured by this product.

EricNoah

Adventurer
mkarol said:

Actually, no... no they do not. See, that is what the 'O' in OGL means... it means open and that WOTC can not tax or deny content they do not like. Now they _could_ have restricted the license at the outset. They did not. And for them to now say "Oopse, this is too far" is rather disingenuous.

They may not be able to change the open gaming license, but I do believe they can adjust the requirements of the D20 trademark license agreement whenever they want. My guess is maybe after this, they'll want to in some fashion.

Tiefling

First Post
fusangite said:
I hope that WOTC does amend the OGL because of this product. It would be a terrible shame if anyone's first impression of D&D were coloured by this product.

They can't.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hehehe.

To be honest, I knew this was talked about ever since the OGL movement is in full swing, but I never expected someone to seriously do it in a large commercial fashion. In fact, I thought someone would publish it on the internet as an e-book.

I did expect the adult film industry to include such game stats of babes in those adult feature films of medieval or barbarian fantasy genres. :p

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I agree with Eric Noah - this whole thing is just...surreal!

I mean, who would have thought that a Business Manager at WotC would publicly proclaim his affiliation with an occult church and a fetish club?

...Not that I'm offering an opinion on the rightness or wrongness of it - it's just that this sort of voluntary public disclosure from an employee of a well-known company doesn't happen everyday, or well...ever!

Wild, weird stuff...

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It is funny that it was mentioned that if a product like this were ever to come out, WOTC would simply pretend it doesn't exist. But I guess in this case they can't, really, since it's an important employee in the D&D cog.

They might be able to alter the d20 STL to avoid products like this, like they did with miniatures, but that's going to be an amusing read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads