WotC Reveal Exodus, a New Video Game from the Decelopers of Mass Effect and Neverwinter Nights

I remember the "exurgent menace", the antagonist force of Eclipse Phase, a mixture of Resident Evil, Terminator, Borgs(Star Treck) and Dead Space+Callisto Protocol, with a robotic or organic body you can't be safe against "infection". Really a serious danger in a TTRPG where the PCs are practically inmortal.

Maybe there are "alien species" in the sense everybody is from the Earth, but thanks genetic engineering they could change to a new step. This should allow each interestelar empire to have got its own style.

* Do we bet about transfomers toys based in vehicles from Exodus videogame?

It is becoming apparent that every genre has a limited shelf-life, and planning for the future WotC shouldn't keep all their eggs in the fantasy basket.
Is it though? Is it really becoming apparent?

Because how long has fantasy survived as the main genre of TT RPGs and indeed videogame RPGs? 50 years? Pretty much on the nose. Absolutely no sign that that's changing.

Don't confuse people getting bored with mediocre superhero movies which were never all that with fantasy mystically and mysteriously becoming unpopular as an RPG genre.

Note I say this being very keen on SF RPGs, but let's be real - most of them have not exactly set the world on fire in terms of popularity.

WotC is resharing the social media of this game. FYI.
Y'd hope they were! They directly own the company making it.

I don't think the tea-leaf reading that this is going to be an SF TT RPG for WotC though makes much sense at this stage. It looks like it'll be Mass Effect-esque gameplay-wise, so basically a shooter with with probably classes (or something approximating them), levelling up, and really strong talk-y sections where your decisions make some impact.

Literally none of that translates direct to a TT RPG - and people have really struggled to make good TT RPGs out of Mass Effect - hell I think I got closer than most of the attempts, however cute their websites, using Cortex Prime.

Thus hopefully no-one is assuming WotC is going to make this into an TT RPG.

Also time dilation is a red flag for a TT RPG. If they haven't got regular FTL drives, most conventional/popular-audience takes on space SF (that are set beyond a single star system) are right out, and we'd be looking a product with at best likely niche success as a TT RPG. If it's just a background element, sure but they directly implied it was an ongoing story element, which is concerning.
It felt like they are just doing Mass Effect over again.
But with less style. The visual design of Mass Effect was 10/10, with SF inspirations from the 1960s onwards blended together amazingly. Apart from vaguely Foss-esque sublight arkship seen at the beginning, all this, including the enemies, looked fairly generic futuristic SF. I'm still excited for an another SF RPG but it's a pity they don't seem to have managed to grab as distinctive a style.

Remove ads