• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpaul

First Post
OGC material

Granted, this is more for 2nd and 3rd round submissions, but what is WotC's position on the inclusion of non-WotC rules...say from Sword & Sorcery Studios, Bastion, Atlas, FaNCC, etc. that are OGC?

Gez

First Post
A4

This would probably interest most Europeans:

The A4 paper format is slightly bigger than its US equivalent ("legal" IIRC). Would submission on A4 be considered as a sort of cheating to the 1-page rule because of that ? I hope not, but I'm wary of potential nitpicking.

Also, do we have to send all three pages of the PDF, or only the last one with the name and signature ? I'm betting all three.

Gez

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: cookies? margins?

Altmann said:
Me :)

* 565 words according to HeVeA+Html2Txt+wc / 572 according to wc alone (probably around 540 for human readers)
* 11 pt text and 20 pt title
* 1 inch margins
* 1.7li between paragraphs
* LaTeX-quality pagination

A fellow LaTeX user !

King_Stannis

Explorer
Re: OGC material

kingpaul said:
Granted, this is more for 2nd and 3rd round submissions, but what is WotC's position on the inclusion of non-WotC rules...say from Sword & Sorcery Studios, Bastion, Atlas, FaNCC, etc. that are OGC?

if it was open content, i'm sure there probably wouldn't be a problem with the occasional 3rd party material. as long as it's not overarching. but i would like to hear wotc's position on this too.

by the way, always nice to see erie represent. ;)

Ywain

First Post
If they're paying you $120 grand, I think that the baseline expectation is that you come up with all new stuff.

I mean, really.

seasong

First Post
Re: cookies? margins?

uberkitty said:
Dang, and there I was patting myself on the back for getting my word count down to 700!

If I dropped the font size to 11 points, dropped the margins to 0.75 inches, maybe tightened the spacing a bit, I could probably get another 200 words in. I could certainly use those words, but I don't have to have them to get in the stuff I like best about the setting.

So I'm taking a gamble that the 450 words I have will be sufficient, and doing what I can to make it as readable as possible. And it is a gamble - those 200 words may give the judges more of a feeling of my meaty, juicy world.

So don't feel too bad about 700 words. Use exactly as many words as you need, and not one more.

Altmann

First Post
Re: cookies? margins?

seasong said:

So I'm taking a gamble that the 450 words I have will be sufficient, and doing what I can to make it as readable as possible. And it is a gamble.

Yep, I did the same thing.
There were many things I couldn't possibly have explained and I didn't even try. I just hinted at their existence under "What's New ?".

Result : another submission I sent mostly for fun - a fantasy adaptation of a futuristic campaign world I designed some time ago - was only 380 words heavy.

Altmann

First Post
Bottom line

This might not be the right thread to post this, but what do you think will happen afterwards ?

Let's bet on 5000 submissions, 4000 of them distinct and worth something, and 10 selections.

Mmmhhhh... I foretell 4997 fantasy worlds submitted to other d20 publishers, most of these trashed without second thought.

And then ?

I bet on 3000 rpg sites florishing, many of them loaded with good ideas, but drowned in the number and lost for the gaming community.

On the other hand, with some help, I suppose that teams working on similar ideas could join forces into producing high-end fan/publishable worlds.

Anybody willing to organize this ?

Be reading you,
YA

P.S. : Thanks for the idea, Wizards. I found it funny to write Trailers for my ongoing campaign worlds. I hope this will be done again.

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Does anyone here know if there's an /ignore function on this message board or something?

The reason I'm asking is that someone I apologized to on this thread a few days ago apparently has implemented it on me, so I'm sure the function exists.

=====O
Dale W. Robbins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads