• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpaul

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
How much you want to bet that it is starting to look like the ending of Miracle on 34th Street at the WotC office?
No bet...but your post reminds me that I want to buy both versions of that film...thanks.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Just a little heads up

Some of you may or may not be aware, but this contest was also posted to Slashdot News for Nerds, Stuff that matters. And while that in itself might not be interesting, the site boasts about a quarter million users from all walks of life, and all over the world. And true to their tag line many of them play RPGs, in all their forms. Many even fancy themselves writers.

Now I'm not suggesting that there will be another 250k entrants, but certainly a few thousand more isn't unreasonable. To say nothing of how many role-playing friends 250,000 nerds are likely to have. :)

Too bad I didn't see it on CNN :)

Toodles.

Friadoc

Explorer
Re: Just a little heads up

Kibo said:
[BNow I'm not suggesting that there will be another 250k entrants, but certainly a few thousand more isn't unreasonable. To say nothing of how many role-playing friends 250,000 nerds are likely to have. :)

Too bad I didn't see it on CNN :)
[/B]

Eh,

...I don't mind the competition, be it two hundred, two thousand, or two hundred thousand, in that it's something fun and enjoyable.

Of course, knowing a fair amount of slashdot readers, how many of them do you think submitted, but decided that the guidelines where a undue burden up their creative spirit, expressional freedom, or some off shoot of the latest electronic anti-piracy law. :)

Yeah, the tongue is a bit to firmly in the cheek on that last bit, but I couldn't help it.

Seriously, I think it would be cool if a few hundred thousand people tried to be in the next ten - it'd be awesome.

However, I think a significant portion of them did the 'naw, I'll probably just lose' or 'people who write this stuff with a passion are gonna be doing it too, what chance do I have' type feelings.

One's worst enemy, for the sake of ambition, is one's fear of the same.

Zappo

Explorer
Re: Re: Just a little heads up

Friadoc said:
However, I think a significant portion of them did the 'naw, I'll probably just lose' or 'people who write this stuff with a passion are gonna be doing it too, what chance do I have' type feelings.
Well, to be honest I mostly had the same feelings. But I've decided that a ~0.1% chance to be in the top 10 and ~0.01% to win is much better than a lottery. So, if there are people playing lotteries...

kingpaul

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Just a little heads up

Zappo said:
Well, to be honest I mostly had the same feelings. But I've decided that a ~0.1% chance to be in the top 10 and ~0.01% to win is much better than a lottery. So, if there are people playing lotteries...
I also thought, and still have the thought, that I have a snowball's chance in hell from achieving even the 1st round due to the professional writers that are in the fray...I'm an engineer by trade and traning. But I submitted anyway.

Asathas

First Post
Fed Ex has got my submissions

Just sent in the three submissions on behalf of my partner. They're off to Fed Ex now and should be at Wizards on Monday. I'm nervous as hell and the other half just said that he's glad he didn't eat too late last night or he'd be puking about now from nerves.

All three in Times New Roman. Two at 10pt and one at 11pt. Word counts at 693, 844, and 633.

Personally though I think I've figured out one of the reasons for this contest from Wizards... It is one of the most intensive marketing studies ever done by an RPG company. Think of the amount of data they can mine from the proposals. Hmm... 1800 submissions had jungle themes... 900 had social consequences for magic use. Etc...

They've just gotten a perfect picture from the gaming community of exactly what we're interested in. Interesting, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads