• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Well, I just mailed off all 5 of my entries.

Four of them clocked in at around 950 words at 10pt. Times New Roman.

The fifth had about 650 words at 11pt TNR.

I'm tired....... but confident.

BigBastard

First Post
Well I sent out 2 settings one weighing in at 500+words the other around 450+words. I also sent in six bare bone settings that have 250+words. As in bare bones I mean I tried to get as much of the idea out in a few sentences. You have to figure the judges gauge the setting in the first few sentences, if it does not catch their eye then they move to the next setting. Just my opinion.

BigBastard

First Post
I still can not believe some people sent in submissions using an 8pnt font. I guess some people are true sadists;) . I could not imagine having to read a mountain of settings every day for several weeks.

My personal belief is that it would take more talent to get your setting told in a few words. Screw the fluff just get to the central point. Don't get me wrong one of my settings I used an 11pnt font for 584 words. The other six I sent were quick and to the point. I hope I was able to get the general idea of the setting. At least I made it easier on the judges.:D

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
This was my thinking. If you have 100 pages of settings that are like Forgotten Relams but different and each page only has 300 words, how many are going to be near identicle?

I think the fluff is what is going to be the tie breakers. Your submission has to stand out somehow and I don't think it can do that with just a few sentences of "core" infomation.

Well, I guess its possible, but unlikely.

Last edited:

ghettognome

First Post
Zulkir said:

Folks we have a winner! The real contest was to see who the first person was to send us a submission with exactly 666 words.

Woot! woot!

AV:D

:D *Bows Gracefully* (or at least as graceful as a gnome can be)

toberane

First Post
Well, I'm off to the post office with my submission. ~700 words at 12 point Times New Roman type, with 1 inch margins.

Thanks to Zulkir and Parcher for their help and guidance in this thread!

Hakkenshi

First Post
HUGE thanks.

A great many thanks to Parcher and Zulkir for posting. This is actually my first post on these boards, but I've been following this topic from the start, and they've both been incredibly helpful.
Cheers, fellas, you've made this non-competitive selection process work!
:D

Good luck with the reading, and hopefully you'll find it interesting at the very least!

Last edited:

fett527

First Post
Great Fun!

This is my first post to ENWorld, this thread seems to have seen a lot of first time posts. I mailed the entry for our team Wednesday. I will echo the sentiments that this thread was the authoritative voice for the contest from the very beginning. To everyone who gave input along the way, Thanks! Especially Zulkir and Parcher. If I had felt I could have contributed to the information being imparted I would have posted before this, but I felt it was better to keep the clutter to a minimum. Good luck to everyone! I hope to find time to post more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads