• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Setting Search Runner ups

Orias

First Post
I agree about Dark Sun. After the Cerulean Storm, & around when many of the City States revolted & the people started taking back Athas, it lost it's desolate, empty atmosphere, making it seem almost like a sandy Arda.

RSKennan

Explorer
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who is still talking about Morningstar, even if only once in a while. I've only had a couple of things published, and I've dealt with several health issues over the years that have kept me from publishing again, but on days like today it means a lot to know that good or bad, the things I've published are still being thought about. Even if you're done with Thraxis (the world of Morningstar), I hope you can strip mine the book for your own campaigns. Thanks again.

GameDaddy

Explorer
Morningstar is one of the few books I have kept in my gaming library for reference and use with games. Eberron as well. I probably would have picked up more of the finalist's settings if they had been published.

It was a special time in the RPG Industry, one where new ideas from the players were included with that of the professionals... that makes them especially worthy! Both the contributors and the professionals!

Sitara

Explorer
I wish WOTC would hold another setting search! It may be 'gimmicky' but it sure was exciting. I still remember the competition, and reading the initial announcement on the old Wizards site back in 2001 I think. They don't even have to give a reward of $100,000, just go for a much smaller one even and make the setting PDF only to save massively on costs. Fact is, it will still get the community involved, get a huge number of entries (though this can be cut by requiring bigger entries of many pages instead of just one page if they don't have time or staff to read 11,000 entries anymore) and generate a lot of publicity and excitement. Especially considering the internet was still in it's infancy in those heady days, today a search like this will be a different and even more fun story entirely.

Honestly, instead of producing sub par adventures set in high fantasy forgotten realms or 'encounters' which too are basically hack and slash, I would rpefer somethign that gets the communities juices flowing and generates that heady excitement again. D&D5e is fantastic, I love it. But I want more people to be involved, and I want more unique and special things for it such as settings or campaigns (in fact, a campaign search instead of a setting search, or a super adventure search, could be even better)

Oh and apologies for the necro again. :p I think I will make it a tradition to necro this thread with every new edition released. :D
(please don't ban me [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] :( )

RSKennan

Explorer
I'd love to see a new Setting Search. It was one of the most fun times of my adult life, and despite it being unlikely that lightning would strike twice for me, it would be fun to compete again.

If anyone's interested, I'm rebooting Morningstar, here.

Last edited:

Remove ads