• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC setting search winner - Eberron

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Emiricol said:
Wait... the friggin' amazing Midnight setting started out as a submission to this WotC thing?

Boy, turning THAT down for THIS is, at first glance, an unforgiveably stupid mistake.

Of course, the final product *could* be exciting and cool :rolleyes:

Wow..... Midnight is quiet simply the best setting I have ever seen. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :rolleyes:

JeffB

Legend
The thing hat bugs me is they dropped support for many GREAT campaign settings, and when they finally get the cajones to do another one, it's......friggin dinosaurs, & trains?

I've got no problem w/ Steampunk, but this type of thing as their new flagship setting for the D&D game?

Will 4.0 have "improved train operation" and "greater dinosaur riding" feats & skills?

*shudder*

I suspect WOTC better cut out the "we can't tell you"s and get some more info out there that explains some of these things, otherwise they might be in for a rude awakening come GenCon next year.

IMO of course...

Hungry Tiger

First Post
Sinistar said:
I don't have the books (except for the Monsternomicon), but with the exception of Dinosaurs isn't this Iron Kingdoms?

Well, the Iron Kingdoms are somewhat deliberately "darkety dark dark dark." (That's the big turn-off for me.) Eberron sounds somewhat more up my alley - dinosaurs are freakin' cool. And I love magical/industrial tech.

But I'll have to see whan more information is available.

JeffB

Legend
New Magic Items for Ebberon

Conductors Hat of Brilliance

Belt of Triceratops Strength

Dagger of Ticket Punching

C'mon..everybody jump in :D ;)

Mystery Man

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:

And swashbuckling! Don't forget that!

My personal feeling is that this will either take off like a rocket or sink like a stone. I'm not seeing much of a middle ground from here.

Stone.

This will insure that the Forgotten Realms will be here for decades to come, so I'm delighted. :D ;)

Christian Walker

First Post
JeffB said:
The thing hat bugs me is they dropped support for many GREAT campaign settings, and when they finally get the cajones to do another one, it's......friggin dinosaurs, & trains?

I've been looking for something new myself. A setting with a "Sky Realms of Jorune is Far Out!" feel to it. I've been gaming for a long, long time, and I'm eager to read a setting that's straight up fresh.

Not necessarily high-concept, but just a little out of the ordinary. Oathbound, maybe?

Corinth

First Post
I reserve my right to change my opinion once more information comes out. Until then, I don't liking this setting and this is why:
  1. It broke the rules of the setting search by exceeding the technology level set in the criteria.
  2. It looks like the setting hasn't thought through its premises; dinosaurs and Industrial Age technology do not mix well, much like steak and chocolate.
  3. It looks like a bad knock-off of FFVII, FFVIII, Xenozoic Tales (a.k.a. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs) and Arcanum.
  4. It doesn't appear to allow for the gameplay that makes D&D the most successful and popular tabletop RPG in the world: the dungeon crawl.
  5. It looks like it's far better suited for wargaming than tabletop RPG campaigns.

Again, an updated briefing that provides more details ought to allow me to revise my opinion. However, it won't change my first impression: it not a proper D&D setting, so it sucks.

Last edited:

Zerakon

First Post
Re: Keith Baker

gordonknox said:
Does anyone know any other projects done by Keith Baker?

Is Keith a part of the EN Community?

It would be nice to congratulate him and see if he could share any other info about the setting.

Anyway, congrats Keith!

gk

I know Keith through our mutual artist friend Lee Moyer.

I know that Keith authored the module The Ebon Mirror for Atlas, two Complete Guides for Goodman Games, and contributed to various works such as Denizens of Freeport.

He also was starting to help me with the backstory with my computer strategy game Star Chamber but then he had to go and place in the top 10 of this silly setting search thing... then when he won the freaking thing, I knew he wouldn't have any real time to devote to my game. :p Ah well, I was happy for him anyway. :D

Also, knowing Keith's talent, I know that this setting is going to be really cool.

-- Zerakon the Game Mage

edited to add links to EN review pages of a couple of Keith's works.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Corinth said:

It looks like the setting hasn't thought through its premises; dinosaurs and Industrial Age technology do not mix well, much like steak and chocolate.
Why not? It's fantasy.

It looks like a bad knock-off of FFVII, FFVIII, Xenozoic Tales (a.k.a. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs) and Arcanum.
It does kinda sound like that.

It doesn't appear to allow for the gameplay that makes D&D the most successful and popular tabletop RPG in the world: the dungeon crawl.
I don't see anything in the entire teaser that gives this kind of impression. Actually, dungeons in this could be kind of cool. Empty, abandoned train stations and the like.

It looks like it's far better suited for wargaming than tabletop RPG campaigns.
Again, I don't see how you can get this kind of impression from such little information.

it not a proper D&D setting, so it sucks.
It's different so it sucks :rolleyes:

JeffB

Legend
Train Station Dungeons..hmmm....

[goofy mode on]

Infested with dread Hari Krishna Goblin tribe

Deadly Traps like the Turnstile (CR15 I should think)

Magic Item dispensers (sandwiches and coffee too!)

They are great places though for Bards to try and earn a living ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads