• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC setting search winner - Eberron

Mister Mojo

First Post
Jody Butt said:
Hmm...let's see...do I want

"Trains and Dinosaurs"

or

Dark Sun, Ravenloft, or Al Qadim

Tough choice.

What in the world was WotC thinking?

You know, JB, you can whet down any campaign setting to abject silliness when being that reductive. Observe:

Dark Sun: "Cannibal halfings and constant dehydration"

Ravenloft: "Evil fog and lotsa angst"

Al Qadim: "D&D Meets Aladdin!"

Personally, I think there's just waaaaay too little information to make any kind of judgement about Eberron just yet. I'll wait and see, myself. Could be fun, could be tripe, or it could be fair-to-middlin'. Why immediately dismiss it? It's not like dinosaurs haven't been a staple of D&D and fantasy since time out of mind, and as for trains -- well, it's no less plausible than, say, a gelatinous cube (remember: "They're evolved to fit *graph paper*!"). Consider -- suppose some Dwarvish genius realized bound fire elementals represent a source of perpetual energy?

At this point, it could go any way -- so let's give it a chance.

coyote6

Adventurer
2d6 said:
Saying this is the new "main" setting for D&D just doesn't sit well with me,

Luckily for you, I don't recall anyone ever saying this is the new "main" setting for D&D. It is a new setting for D&D. It's not replacing FR, or Greyhawk, or even Ghostwalk (let alone Ravenloft or Al-frikkin'-Qadim).

If someone has said anything like, "it's the new main setting", I'd like to see the quote.

Last edited:

Aitch Eye

First Post
Emiricol said:

Because there's some money involved. First of all, you don't need to be able to win to sue and settle. Second of all, WOTC itself laid out guidelines and then, it MIGHT be interpreted, selected a submission that violated its guidelines. Any of the people who tailored their submission to the guidelines presented could (conceivably) pursue damages, particularly punitive damages.

When you are talking about lawyers, whether the case is valid or nor, or winnable or not, is often not a primary consideration.

Anyway, it is all pretty far-fetched. Not like that one line was the focus of the post :) Just a comment.

Here are the guidelines WotC laid out:

"Wizards of the Coast, Inc. is searching for proposals for a new fantasy setting (“Fantasy Setting Search”). Such a setting may serve as a vehicle for novels, roleplaying games, card games, miniatures, and other entertainment products. In scope and flavor, your proposed fantasy setting should be similar to our existing settings, particularly Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance."

If a lawyer would take a case based on that, I suspect the primary consideration would be whether the client was paying up front. :)

I seem to remember Valterra making some comments directly addressing the issue of similarity to FR and Dragonlance, but the news page archives don't go back that far, and I can't find it at GamingReport. Perhaps someone here has them on file? As I remember it, he indicated that it was more that you'd have a tougher time making it if you went beyond the baselines of standard D&D rather than it being completely banned. My memory could very well be faulty, though, so I'd like to see the quotes again.

However, from what little we've seen -- particularly taking Gargoyle's comments into consideration -- this setting could well be within the vague guidelines given in the original press release.

There'll be a "first glimpse" of the setting in the next Dragon, though they didn't give any info on what they mean by that.

I've been trying to formulate some more general comments, but I haven't figured out a way of doing it in any detail that wouldn't tend to make the arguments more personal than I like to get. So I'll just say that from the very tiny bit we've seen, it could well be interesting, and given that so-called standard D&D already has FR and Dragonlance lines being published, I think it's perfectly reasonable and possibly wiser (in principle, anyway) for Wizards to do something somewhat different...if it actually is really all that different. I don't think there's enough detail or certainty in the Gaming Report article to give an idea of the big picture, or to even remotely justify some of the assumptions being made about it, or the level of the negative reaction people are showing towards it.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Wow, I can't believe how incredibly rude a lot of you on this thread are being. You'll notice that this isn't a WoTC press release, it's something written by some guy named Dan Sivlis based on his impression from a seminar. Could you even take two seconds to read the damn article before you spout off with your holier-than-thou condecension and eye-rolling emoticons?

It's amazing how the mere mention of a dinosaur-like creature being in the concept art has suddenly been morphed into "OMG they're gonna have swashbuckling dinosaurs pulling trains rofl wotc is super lame :rolleyes: " Hey, look, there's dinosaurs in my Monster Manual! Right there, on page 60. Waaaaah, no fair, he broke the rules of the contest!!!! :( :( :(

Jeesh.

Emiricol

I don't really care, and I certainly don't want WotC to get sued (hey, they make my favorite game).

But you haven't disproven any of my points. I still doubt anyone would sue them - as I've said before - but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

senodam

First Post
Well said Meepo. And just out of curiousity, has anyone considered we could be seeing something like Perdido Street Station here? It's certainly what popped into my mind. Just picture it- huge industrialised cities, ancient ruins beneath them that were once the palaces and temples of older races..and out in the wilds there are tales of huge lizards that can swallow a man whole. Could be cool, could be bad- let's wait and see.

Emiricol

MeepoTheMighty said:
Wow, I can't believe how incredibly rude a lot of you on this thread are being. You'll notice that this isn't a WoTC press release, it's something written by some guy named Dan Sivlis based on his impression from a seminar. Could you even take two seconds to read the damn article before you spout off with your holier-than-thou condecension and eye-rolling emoticons?

It's amazing how the mere mention of a dinosaur-like creature being in the concept art has suddenly been morphed into "OMG they're gonna have swashbuckling dinosaurs pulling trains rofl wotc is super lame :rolleyes: " Hey, look, there's dinosaurs in my Monster Manual! Right there, on page 60. Waaaaah, no fair, he broke the rules of the contest!!!! :( :( :(

Jeesh.

I did read it. As has been said by others with more information than you, the poster seems to have information that was not available at the Q&A, as with perhaps a press release.

Now granted, as I've said before I'll give it a fair look when more is known and when it comes out, but based on what I've seen, yeah, it looks friggin stupid! Here ya go - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BlackMoria

First Post
I think the setting may suffer from being too different, too 'out there' to attract a strong fan base.

Scarred Lands, Midnight, and others settings are different enough to generate a strong fan base but they are not so different within the scope of the heroic fantasy genre. Someone doing FR could easily find the appeal of Midnight or Scarred Lands (among others) and jump in and find some familar elements while appreciating the differences.

My first impression is that jumping into this setting is going to be like jumping over a cliff. I read the Gaming Report article and while there were familar words like drow, dwarves, dinosaurs, there was nothing familar in the feel that was being conveyed.

Which I believe will work against it, not for it. The setting seems to its trying to be too different. Unless is absolutely brilliant, the FR, Scarred Lands, Midnight, Greyhawk, etc players are going to stay with their settings or will venture into other settings with familar themes and feels to them.

This setting seems so like...... well, Rifts in a rather perverse way and at some wonky level difficult for me to explain. Could be just me but that is the first thought that sort of popped into my head.

Even if the setting is well done, it may be that fans wanting more 'familiar' ground will not like it.

Using a art analogy. WOTC asked for a 'Frazetta' - now they want to sell us a 'Picasso'.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
I dunno. It could be colossaly bad, or it could be really neat. I can picture a very cool setting from that short description, but I can also picture a horrible Flintstones meets the Jetsons meets the Princess Bride.

I'll wait and see. It just better not be steampunk. I hate steampunk

Last edited:

Remove ads