WotC to Revise D&D 4th Edition GSL and SRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Najo

First Post
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Scott and Linae for their hard work on this and thie continued dedication to open gaming and a GSL that appeals to 3rd party publishers. Keep fighting the good fight, and I'll be as supportive as I can.

I like to second this. Scott and Linae, thank you for everything your doing to make the GSL a welcoming place for the 3PP. D&D's business model is obviously evolving and it is good to know WOTC sees the value of companies like Necromancer and Paizo getting behind them.

catsclaw227

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Wow... I just pulled three sidetreck adventures OUT of my rpgnow shopping cart.

You just lost another customer. And I have spent over $3000 on 3.x PDFs.
For what? Speaking the truth? Have you hired a lawyer lately?
Why? Are you going to sue me because I decided to not buy some PDFs?

I made this decision because I didn't like the attitude of the man produced them. I buy a lot of RPG materials. I choose what to buy not just for the quality and originality of the material, but also for the reputation of the writers. I don't like the attitude he is taking regarding this announcement, which by all rights is a GOOD thing. It speaks about his character and that carries a lot of weight with me.

drothgery

First Post
900 votes? I'm not even sure that's representative of what ENWOrld thinks, let alone what the players overall think.

If the poll is flawed (and I think it is), it's because of selection bias and because multiple voting is possible (i.e. the same issues that almost always plague internet polls); 900 is more than large enough for a representative sample, if I remember college statistics correctly.

Bacris

First Post
As I posted in the Legalities forum, I await the revised GSL with anticipation.

I appreciate that Scott and Linae are working hard to make this license worthwhile and still have hope that Dreamscarred Press can jump in with both feet on the GSL, rather than foregoing 4E entirely or consulting a lawyer and "going copyright"... even if I do have to wait until 2010 for "official" 4E psionic support ;)

Arnwyn

First Post
But the behavior of some of the Paizo fans and contributors both here and at the Paizo boards really soured me to the game and even motivated me to reconsider my stance on 4e
I count that as 4 lost Pathfinder sales because people associated with Pathfinder chose the low road.
Then I wonder why you purchased 4e, from WotC, considering the behavior on their boards (i.e. "people associated with" WotC, using your words).

A rather interesting position of yours.

Caliber

Explorer
Then I wonder why you purchased 4e, from WotC, considering the behavior on their boards (i.e. "people associated with" WotC, using your words).

A rather interesting position of yours.

Completely anecdotal, but in my experience far more venom dripped from the fangs of those sticking with 3.5/PF. I know many disagree with me, and offer this up only as an answer to your question. Please don't take it as offense, just an observation I've made. :)

catsclaw227

First Post
No, that's a deformed mongoloid stillbirth of a company and game.
Easy tiger... I may be a 4e supporter, but Paizo has had my money for a long time because of the quality of the products they produce. I am not a fan of Pathfinder RPG (yet), but I am a fan of the APs and the (formerly Gamemastery) adventures.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
But jeeeeeeez. Isn't there ENOUGH 3.x material out there already?

No. :D

Many RPG purchases are made with the knowledge that the material will never be used in a game. A good bit of the market, at one time or another, has bought rpg books simply to read them for enjoyment and maybe mine them for ideas.

Therefore, for people like me who have little or no interest at this point in 4e, having more 3.x books published is a great thing.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
No. :D

Many RPG purchases are made with the knowledge that the material will never be used in a game. A good bit of the market, at one time or another, has bought rpg books simply to read them for enjoyment and maybe mine them for ideas.

Therefore, for people like me who have little or no interest at this point in 4e, having more 3.x books published is a great thing.

As a DM, I've found myself using little bits of things published here and there years after I bought the book and put it away. With support of some kind, the diehards of that system will continue to have a fresh supply of new stuff. Without support of any kind, the diehards just have to do without or make it up themselves. Given the modular nature of D&D, it's not that difficult for someone to come up with stuff on their own, but there is something to be said for having it run through a professional editing and development process to make sure that the stuff is balanced and well-conceived, and to have it laid out nicely on the page along with a little bit of art.

Every time I manage to convince myself that I own enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life, there's always that one product that comes along and makes me realize what a silly notion that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads