• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC to Revise D&D 4th Edition GSL and SRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyfair

Explorer
Interesting that:

Goodman Games and Mongoose are already in.

Pazio is committed to 3.75, so they're out no matter what.

Green Ronin is off doing non-D&D material.

Basically, IMO, we are left with the Wizards changing the GSL for Necro, and only for Necro. Bummer that it had to happen a week after they lost the APG.
Here is one thing I'd like to see:

I'd like enough changes that Kobold Quarterly can support 4E (either in the main magazine, or through a parallel publication).

xechnao

First Post
Actually, Scott and yours truly pushed for this possible CLM. We intended to have everything buttoned up by GenCon. Realizing that was not going to happen I requested we put up the announcement.

Or maybe option G), GSL is used as a marketing tool to provide as much attention to D&D as possible in the OGL legacy era.

Last edited:

No company is going to admit that their own product is not selling well. To do so is suicide for the product line. Companies will tell people how well their product is doing right up until the week before the product is canceled. You cannot take the self professed success of a product or line at face value from any company.

ENWorld: You're no messiah!
WotC: I am the messiah! Will you please look at the sales figures? I am the messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
ENWorld: Only the false messiah denies his low sales figures!
WotC: What? Well what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I'm not the messiah!
ENWorld: He's not! He's not the messiah!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I don't think it's to late. The GSL hasn't even gone live yet. I am hopeful (cautious, but hopeful nonetheless).
Furthermore, we all know one publisher who will go 4E, as soon as the GSL becomes more reasonable (Necro). Even if we get one extra publisher only, I'd be happy.

Cheers, LT.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
it's ridiculous to point to any one piece of information and proclaim it a success or failure at this point.

Didn't stop you from using "Internet Polls" to support your argument. But IU'm not going to discuss whether or not my discussing whether or not you discussing internet polls is valid.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Filcher said:
Basically, IMO, we are left with the Wizards changing the GSL for Necro, and only for Necro.

And that's good enough for yours truly. When I look at my bookshelf, I have WotC books, Goodman modules, and Necro modules. So this is a win. :)

I also have a ton of Paizo mags. You know what I'd love to see on the heels of this nice GSL news? Paizo reclaiming Dragon and Dungeon. A girl can dream, right?

WP

evilref

Explorer
No company is going to admit that their own product is not selling well. To do so is suicide for the product line. Companies will tell people how well their product is doing right up until the week before the product is canceled. You cannot take the self professed success of a product or line at face value from any company.

You saw that point where I said 'outside' as well, right? I mean, I know acknowledging it would also mean acknowledging your point is without support but you did see it?

There's evidence here and all over the internet that shows that up to 50% of the current player base has no intention of switching to 4E. Assuming that those numbers are real (and I'm not going to bother debating whether or not you can believe the validity of internet polls) then if there's something they can do to get more people to switch, it would be wise to consider that option. Making the license more open lowers the barriers preventing publishers from porting their existing brands to 4E, therefore potentially bringing in players who are loyal to those publishers and product lines.

Hey look, that's another option that doesn't come in your statement that there are only three options.

There's no supportable evidence that I'm wrong either, and it was neither cheap nor was it an attempt. It was free and it was pure speculation, and as people like to speculate about things they have no real information about around here, there is nothing indicating of "bad reasoning or logic" at all. In fact, in this thread's twin, other people came to exactly the same conclusions on their own. Are they equally guilty of bad reasoning and logic?

Amazon sales rank, NYT best sellers list. Number of reprints, statements on the side of the initial print run. See those, those are supportable evidence that you're wrong.

4E could very well be selling badly. We don't have access to their sales data. We do not know what how many copies it has to sell for Hasbro to consider it a success. Since we don't have access to this information, it's ridiculous to point to any one piece of information and proclaim it a success or failure at this point.

A) Hasbro cares about the success of its companies, not individual SKUs put out by that company.
B) NO, 4E could not be selling badly, unless you consider badly to be hundreds of thousands of books, in which case you have no idea about sales in the industry.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Woohoo!!!

I also have to point out the irony of someone going by the name of Orcus working with WoTC to "fix" an "evil" contract... :p

Brown Jenkin definately won the thread. I think he hit the nail right on the head.

However, I think Scribble absolutely wins the comedy category for the thread. Man, that was funny:lol::). Nice!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads