• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC trading card games patent?

Drifter Bob

First Post
I just read somewhere that WOTC owns the patent on the very concept of trading card games... is this true or am I reading this wrong?

DB

Jeph

Explorer
IIRC, the patent is for the concept of tilting cards sideways or upsidedown or whatever in order to represent certain game effects or situations. Or something like that. It's definitely much narrower than TCGs as an entirity.

--Jeff

Wolf72

Explorer
Jeph said:
IIRC, the patent is for the concept of tilting cards sideways or upsidedown or whatever in order to represent certain game effects or situations. Or something like that. It's definitely much narrower than TCGs as an entirity.

--Jeff

"Tapping" ?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Wolf72 said:
"Tapping" ?

Rotating a card so that it is in a different orientation than originally (normally 90 degrees). It's used to show that a card has been used in the current turn. At the beginning of your turn, all your cards "untap" (reset) so you can use them again.

Cheers!

Drifter Bob

First Post
this is what it read, which I found confusing

Wizards of the Coast holds U.S. Patent #5662332 on trading card games. The patent, filed in October 1995 and granted in September 1997, covers:

Games published in the form of trading cards.
Games in which a player selects a collection of tradeable elements and uses that set to compete with other players.
Certain aspects of gameplay originally developed for Magic: The Gathering, such as "tapping" a card to indicate it is temporarily depleted.
As a holder of the patent, Wizards of the Coast has requested that all trading card game publishers license the mechanics described in the patent, usually for a royalty fee based on total sales.

Here is the link to their patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...0&s1=5662332.WKU.&OS=PN/5662332&RS=PN/5662332

reanjr

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Wow, you can patent stupid stuff.

Man, you should follow software patents for about two weeks. You want to see some ridiculous patents:

Amazon: One click shopping
Microsoft: Determing function of a control by how many times it is clicked or how long it is held down.
(some company suing Microsoft): Web browser plugins
(some company suing Kodak): JPG picture format
Unisys: GIF image format
Apple: Wireless network devices that have their own software drivers auto-install

sparxmith

First Post
Merric, my new deity.

Merric,

I'm just curious, how long did it take you to find that patent? (And if you had it bookmarked, I'm gonna bow down and worship you as my new god. :) ).

Sparxmith

Remove ads