WotC Updates D&D's AI Policy After YouTuber's False Accusations

YouTuber falsely accused D&D artist of using AI based on "something feeling off".

dungeons-and-dragons-2024-players-handbook-fighter-full-page-splash.jpeg

This awesome art by Nestor Ossandón is not AI

Following a YouTuber falsely accusing an artist who worked for WotC of using AI based on "something feeling off" in a widely watched (but now deleted) video, Wizards of the Coast has updated its AI policy.

For 50 years, D&D has been built on the innovation, ingenuity, and hard work of talented people who sculpt a beautiful, creative game. That isn't changing. Our internal guidelines remain the same with regards to artificial intelligence tools: We require artists, writers, and creatives contributing to the D&D TTRPG to refrain from using AI generative tools to create final D&D products. We work with some of the most talented artists and creatives in the world, and we believe those people are what makes D&D great.

The YouTuber in question is Taron Pounds, username 'Indestructoboy', and made his now deleted video because, in his words, 'something felt incredibly off'. He's an ENnie-winning game designer, and has since posted an apology on Twitter:

I contributed to "rage bait" content this year after the OGL situation. That's on me. If I was frustrated by a situation, I felt compelled to say something to the camera. That's just not okay. I bought in hard on the "anti-WotC" train and should have just put my energy elsewhere.

IMG_2202.PNG

Rage-bait videos are a problematic part of not just the D&D community, but on YouTube in general--as a massive Doctor Who fan, my YouTube feed is full of similar stuff about that show. The D&D stuff I see is overwhelmingly negative about how D&D is dying (it isn't, by the way). Unfortunately, that's what YouTube incentivises, and that's what gets the thousands of clicks: video thumbnails with big text, a controversial statement or question, probably a big shocked face, and a giant question mark or arrow, or maybe a jagged cartoony graph trending downwards. It's important to realise that just because that's what gets the clicks, it doesn't make it true. It is, however, a massive part of what drives the community narrative at the moment.

A shout-out should go to Christian Hoffer, who took the time to actually email the artist in question, who confirmed--with evidence--that the art was completely human generated. The YouTuber did not even make that basic step. You can read his report on Twitter here (and you should follow him if you're still on that site). The artist in question is Nestor Ossandón, who responded to Hoffer as follows.

First of all, I do not use artificial intelligence (NOT AI) for my work and no one but you and my director have asked me. And that image is completely painted. It is one of my favorite recent jobs that I have been able to do. And if you see other old works, you can see that my tendency is very similar when it comes to painting. I always play with warm and cold ones on my face. Thanks to the work together with the art director. They give me the freedom and appropriate time to develop it. This character is completely painted from scratch with a gray and superimposed color technique. Then I paint the cold tones to give atmosphere and light. It took me more than two weeks and my director was very happy with this work.

To be clear, Nestor Ossandón did not use AI to create the above art.

The artist provided proof (not that they should have to) which Hoffer posted on Twitter.

GBqR8ntbIAA5QIS.png

There's not much real journalism that goes on in the tiny corner of the world that is the TTRPG industry; it’s still a niche topic, although it’s more popular than it’s ever been. I myself do not consider myself as such--I report on stuff, but I don't investigate stuff, and my contribution is not much more than simple reportage and aggregation (not that I undervalue that--I've been doing it for 24 years now, and folks still read it, and I recognise my own value!) Christian Hoffer (ComicBook.com), Lin Codega (laid off from iO9, but hopefully they will find a new outlet soon), Christopher Helton (retired) and other folks like that are great examples of journalism in this little industry. YouTube... there's a lot of great, informative, fun stuff on there, and there are folks I follow and enjoy, but you should be careful!

(Edit—I had some examples of video thumbnails here but I don’t want to give the impression they are related to this AI art episode.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree, but it's not just controversy. It's ANGER. Anger drives engagement more than any other emotion. And engagement brings those sweet, sweet dollars to the social media firms.
I don't know that that's aways it--often there's the 'watch the trainwreck' curiosity. If a YouTube thumbnail is telling you that D&D IS DEAD! the chances you'll click just to watch the drama is high. Everybody clicks on clickbait stuff sometimes, even when they know better. I know I do.

That is actually a good idea. I'll talk to Mark, and we will mix in our Battlezoo releases into the video schedule going forward in 2024! Thanks for this feedback.
For whatever it's worth, some of my recent favorite streams have been the ones where Mark and people like Jessica Redekop discuss game design. I know that sort of content doesn't always drive engagement because YouTube sucks, as Mark has pointed out with how hard it's been for his own channel to gain traction but it's appreciated when you guys do it. Looking forward to Kelsey Dionne being on next month if that's still in the plans.

pete284

Explorer
I wish these angry anti 5e content-makers would channel their energy into making positive news about other products they like instead of just dishing one company they don't like. I have unsubscribed from many, it's also a sad state of affairs that many people believe everything they read on the internet without fact checking first.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As someone who falls prey to the negative geek culture algorithms of YouTube (not just tabletop gaming but also video games, films, television, etc.), it's something that I've increasingly wanted to avoid. The content is what's highlighted, and I'm spoonfed this stuff as background noise while I'm painting, driving, etc.
Even people I used to go out of my way to watch (Professor DM, Roll for Combat) are becoming more negative.
I wish I could locate better content.
Check out pod casts. Great to listen to while driving, painting minis, cleaning, etc. I find it much easier to find podcasts that don't descend into this junk. After you find enough good content you like, there is no need to be impulse clicking on suggested content. Just listed to what's queued up in your feed of subscribed pod casts.

IMO, these YouTubers are a blight, but as you pointed out, the real problem lies with Google/youtube that incentivizes such catastrophic thinking.
I disagree strongly to this. The solution is simple, and CM explains it:
In particular I hate the lazy form of "journalism" that's all too common these days: "Here's how people are reacting to ___" and it's just some twitter posts. I make it a point to avoid sites and channels that promote this kind of garbage, and refuse to even click on the ragebait story/video thumbnails mentioned in this thread.
All "we" have to do is refuse to click on any title that is click-baity. Just don't do it. You don't need it, and if you don't want to promote such garbage, don't.

Don't share links to click bait titles. IMO it doesn't matter how good the article inside is. It doesn't matter how appealing it might be. But if "we" stop feeding the algorithms that feed us this garbage, the companies will change the algorithms.

If you want change, make it happen through your own behavior. The money follows out behavior, so change it.

Retreater

Legend
Check out pod casts. Great to listen to while driving, painting minis, cleaning, etc. I find it much easier to find podcasts that don't descend into this junk. After you find enough good content you like, there is no need to be impulse clicking on suggested content. Just listed to what's queued up in your feed of subscribed pod casts.
I need to find some other podcasts. I've gone through most I could find. Maybe it's just hard to find them?
Also, I am getting into audiobooks to help fill the empty time, so that helps.

MNblockhead

I disagree strongly to this. The solution is simple, and CM explains it:

All "we" have to do is refuse to click on any title that is click-baity. Just don't do it. You don't need it, and if you don't want to promote such garbage, don't.

Don't share links to click bait titles. IMO it doesn't matter how good the article inside is. It doesn't matter how appealing it might be. But if "we" stop feeding the algorithms that feed us this garbage, the companies will change the algorithms.

If you want change, make it happen through your own behavior. The money follows out behavior, so change it.
This. Even if it doesn't have much effect on the market and society at large, it makes for a more fulfilling and thoughtful life for yourself. Disengaging from most social media platforms has been one of the best things I've done for my quality of life. I've even cut down on news updates. I used to be a news junky, compulsively reading various news sites and feeds. Now I mostly read longer form articles on the weekend. I may not be as up to date, but I feel more informed, less distracted, and spend more time on more productive activities. I'm not a purist by any means, as my activity on this site (and my rubber-necking fascination with the NuTSR thread) proves. But social media will fill in all the gaps and time in your attention and start drowning out reflection and productive activity if you let it. Good to take stock and prune back apps, subs, feeds, and sites on a regular basis and completely go off line for good chunks of time.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

I need to find some other podcasts. I've gone through most I could find. Maybe it's just hard to find them?
Also, I am getting into audiobooks to help fill the empty time, so that helps.
For gaming podcasts, I sub to Not Another D&D Podcast but I only listen to the D&D Court episodes.
I listen to most episodes of Morrus's Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk
I'm also listening to Old World Podcast since I've gotten into Warhammer Fantasy. I like their lore and rule intros. I'm not that into their live play episodes, but I'm listening to a few of them because it helps me learn and get used to the system.
Past live plays, I've really enjoyed include:
  • The first live play campaign of Not Another D&D Podcast. None of their live play campaigns caught the magic of the first one for me.
  • The first live play campaign (Pathfinder Against the Giants) of The Glass Canon Podcast

For radio-theater-like serial stories:
"Old Gods of Appalachia"
"The Magnus Archives"

I love anything by PJ Vogt. I'm currently a fan of his "Search Engine" podcast that gives well researched exploration of various random questions. His "Crypto Island" is a really well done mini-series examining the world of crypto currency.

"The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping" is a very well done 10-part series by journalist Sue-Lin Wong, put out by The Economist, looking at the life and politics of Xi Jinping.

"The Rest is History" is my current favorite history podcast.

"Heavyweight" by gimletmedia where Jonathan Goldstein helps people try to resolve a moment from their past that they wish they could change.

I really like the early episodes of Conan O'Brien needs a friend, but it has kinda jumped the shark for me. I selectively listen to it, depending on who the guest is.

The above are just some of my favorites that I feel comfortable recommending to almost anyone.

Kurotowa

Legend
I agree, but it's not just controversy. It's ANGER. Anger drives engagement more than any other emotion. And engagement brings those sweet, sweet dollars to the social media firms.
The best term I've seen for creators who go down this path is "Outrage Merchants". They're basically drug dealers. They want to sell you outrage, because outrage gives you a rush and lashing out against the source of that outrage is a high. So they'll seize on any excuse for outrage, or just outright invent it if none is handy, so they can keep pushing fresh outrage material out to their junkies.

I'm not adverse to bad news or a well deserved takedown, but any channel or news source that multi-classes into Outrage Merchant is one I drop immediately. It's not just bad for my mental health, it's a sign they're about to start spinning or inventing new reasons for outrage as soon as their supply runs low. Happens every time.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
This. Even if it doesn't have much effect on the market and society at large, it makes for a more fulfilling and thoughtful life for yourself. Disengaging from most social media platforms has been one of the best things I've done for my quality of life. I've even cut down on new updates. I used to be a new junky, compulsively reading various news sites and feeds. Now I mostly read longer form articles on the weekend. I may not be as up to date, but I feel more informed, less distracted, and spend more time on more productive activities. I'm not a purist by any means, as my activity on this site (and my rubber-necking fascination with the NuTSR thread) proves. But social media will fill in all the gaps and time in your attention and start drowning out reflection and productive activity if you let it. Good to take stock and prune back apps, subs, feeds, and sites on a regular basis and completely go off line for good chunks of time.
Thirded, and I'll add that if an individual takes the actions to "stop feeding the algorithm," then the algorithm changes for that individual because it's meant to be highly customized. So even if you think, "I can't change the rest of the world," it's a fact that you can (admittedly somewhat slowly) change it for yourself.

Take the time to avoid the clickbait, block and report stuff you find offensive or cruel, and tell YouTube "Don't recommend this channel" and whatever else you need to do to curate your social media experience.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads