• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WotC_Logan] Why is Tiamat Huge?

Hi Logan, if you're around. Or someone else from WotC.

Could you please tell me the background for making Tiamat, the Mother of all chromatic dragons, smaller than her own spawn?

I suspect it is the miniature, but that is for her aspect, not the old lady herself.

I know I can just change it, but it really rubs me the wrong way, plus I simply don't understand... :confused:

fba827

Adventurer
I'm taller than either of my parents, and they are each taller than any of my grandparents .... and my cousins are taller than their own parents.

And while I am no dragon (at least not that I will admit to on here ;) ), my point is, it's not impossible to have the child/spawn be bigger than the parent/creator.

Of course, I am not part of WotC so I am merely making a guess as to a theory that could answer your question.

:)

Last edited:

Betote

First Post
Because Tiamat as Huge is fun, but if it were bigger it wouldn't.

Everybody knows that Gargantuan or Colossal five-headed iconic dragons which are very, very unfun.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Black Holes are super dense and small but so incredibly destructive that they can consume entire solar systems.

SO therefore...

Super Density + Small Size = Incredible Power

The Dungeon Master is small, yet is super powerful

Yoda is small, yet is super powerful

neverwinter_nights_dm.jpg
164359__yoda_l.jpg

Tiamat just wants to get in on the action!

GlaziusF

First Post
Hi Logan, if you're around. Or someone else from WotC.

Could you please tell me the background for making Tiamat, the Mother of all chromatic dragons, smaller than her own spawn?

I suspect it is the miniature, but that is for her aspect, not the old lady herself.

I know I can just change it, but it really rubs me the wrong way, plus I simply don't understand... :confused:

Picking a size to manifest is tricky. On the one hand, physical beings are often intimidated by size. On the other hand, it's nice for the minions to be able to complete a monument to your greatness within a single-digit multiplier of their own lifespans.

Tiamat probably just figures that by the time a chromatic dragon gets Huge, if it's not going to be intimidated by her it wouldn't be even if she was size Universe, and also it saves having to send an Aspect out and say "okay guys, build a complex that'll work with something twice this size."

Remove ads