WotC's Chris Perkins Describes Tomb of Annihilation

With the adventure coming out in just a few days (September 8th), WotC's Chris Perkins summarises the concept and drops a few hints.

With the adventure coming out in just a few days (September 8th), WotC's Chris Perkins summarises the concept and drops a few hints.

[video=youtube;6cyANArcQYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyANArcQYw[/video]

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 18.01.04.png

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I have trouble with gods just letting Acererak drain their resurrection energy without doing nothing. Especially if it affects people resurrected before Acererak did this. Chult should be crawling with clerics and paladins.

I'm looking forward to reading this module, and certainly raiding it for a wee trip to Chult expedition for my campaign, but none of my groups displayed any great interest for "zombies and dinosaurs in an Indiana Jones jungle crawl", to my great confusion, so it seems unlikely I'll run it in its entirety.

Saying that, Out of the Abyss was a fun read and thus I'm happy with my purchase, even though I'm fairly sure that I'll never run that as a whole.

They seem to be refining their campaign concepts as time goes on. Tyranny of Dragons isn't all that thematically tight - other than DRAGONS! - nor is Princes of the Apocalypse. However, Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, and now this all seem much more focused on providing a cohesive experience that brings its own tone and style to the game, rather than just a pleasantly themed set of dungeons. I think that really helps to sell the package.

Lastly: I always thought of it as Acerak, and it constantly surprises me to find that there is a rogue ce lurking in the actual name. This adventure is likely to have many more difficult to pronounce names...

hastur_nz

First Post
I have trouble with gods just letting Acererak drain their resurrection energy without doing nothing. Especially if it affects people resurrected before Acererak did this. Chult should be crawling with clerics and paladins.

Yeah, "low level PC's save the world", I too have a problem with that over-used theme. That said, I'm interested to see, and hoping (but not betting on it), that they have taken the many many months that have passed since it was first written, to give it a good overhaul of the adventure and not just spend time on marketing stuff.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
This adventure appears to be a fun exploration into Chult.

i believe Perkins has said the gods have kinda left the world alone or less likely to make an appearance since the sundering event....hands off if you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

lyle.spade

Adventurer
How bizarre...I've always pronounced Acererak as "Chuck." I've no idea where these other bizarro butcherings of the name are coming from. What's up, folks?

I can go either way on Drow, however, and in fact had never heard it said like "grow" until recently, when it sounded different and deliberate, which blew some of the dust of them for me.

Whatever. It's all cool, right?

Jhaelen

First Post
In 13th Age, there's even a designer's comment about the pronounciation of 'drow', explaining it's origin (see Trow), so it seems to be common to pronounce it wrong.

Remove ads

Remove ads