Planescape WOTC's Planescape trademark registration is misspelled as "PLANE SCAPE"

Tag365

Villager
I found no live trademark registrations when I search for "Planescape" trademarks on Justia's search and the USPTO search. So it was confusing to see artwork that shows a registered trademark symbol on the new Planescape book. But yesterday I found a website that claimed there was a "PLANESCAPE" trademark.

Apparently WOTC does have a live registered trademark for Planescape - except the registration's word mark is misspelled as "PLANE SCAPE" for some reason. (Word marks are supposed to be inputted as all capitals, I believe, when being registered as a trademark. The error is in the word mark's space when the logo and official marketing material spell Planescape as only one word with no spaces.)

c09b2564-5e5a-4169-946f-7299c326e677.jpeg

So for anyone finding no live trademark registration results for "Planescape" (thus believing that book shouldn't have a registered trademark symbol on it), this must be why. Maybe you should contact their lawyer team and tell them that the word mark in the registration is misspelled.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so don't contact me about stuff like this. This was just an accidental discovery.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
Not a lawyer either but I suspect either this doesn't actually matter or can be corrected with a one page filing. The law is not a game of Simon Says.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Not a lawyer either but I suspect either this doesn't actually matter or can be corrected with a one page filing. The law is not a game of Simon Says.
Damn, foiled again! I was ready to file the TM for the corrected spelling and launch the pre-orders* for my own competing version.

* To be fulfilled at a later, unspecified, date.

Remove ads