• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Would a baseball bat be considered a greatclub or a club?

neonagash

First Post
I'd say since you can use it either one or two handed in a fight it would have its own category, sort of a bastard sword of clubs with different stats depending on how you use it.

Puxido

First Post
I'd say since you can use it either one or two handed in a fight it would have its own category, sort of a bastard sword of clubs with different stats depending on how you use it.

Interesting, could you put more into this? Do you think using it in one hand should be it's own feat, and what do you think the damage should be?

Tovec

Explorer
If we're going for the bastard sword of clubs idea..

"Baseball bat" 1d8(m), 1d6(s), Crit: x2, Type: Blgn

For sake of completeness throw in;
"A Baseball Bat is about 3* feet in length, making it too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an martial weapon. A character can use a Baseball Bat two-handed as a simple weapon."

Reasoning:
Baseball Bat is to bastard sword, as club is to longsword, as greatclub is to greatsword.
As such, bastard sword is up 1 level of dmg, but basically a longsword, so in this case. Up 1 step from club (minus the throwing-ness) to 1d8, but otherwise a club.
Also reduced the proficiency requirements per bastard sword, since BS is martial (as longsword) when two-handed, so BB should be simple (as club) when two-handed.

Did I miss anything? Any objections?

* How long are baseball bats? I'm lazy and I think it varies, right? Number subject to change to reflect baseball bat length :p

Puxido

First Post
If we're going for the bastard sword of clubs idea..

"A Baseball Bat is about 3* feet in length, making it too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an martial weapon. A character can use a Baseball Bat two-handed as a simple weapon."

Reasoning:
Baseball Bat is to bastard sword, as club is to longsword, as greatclub is to greatsword.
As such, bastard sword is up 1 level of dmg, but basically a longsword, so in this case. Up 1 step from club (minus the throwing-ness) to 1d8, but otherwise a club.
Also reduced the proficiency requirements per bastard sword, since BS is martial (as longsword) when two-handed, so BB should be simple (as club) when two-handed.

Did I miss anything? Any objections?

* How long are baseball bats? I'm lazy and I think it varies, right? Number subject to change to reflect baseball bat length :p

Though I don't see many people wielding baseball bats one handed, if you had weapons training I assume it would be easy enough. I think your way is the best way to handle it. I think that will be how I use it in my campaigns in the future... on an off topic note, did this post bring this memory back to anyone else?
billandteds-475x237.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd say a baseball bat is a club. At 32oz & 42" in length a typical bat is about the same mass and length as a typical longsword.

And remember, people wield longswords 1 handed or 2 handed.

When I think greatclub, I think first of something like a tetsubo, which ranged from about the size of a baseball bat at their shortest, to 5'+ in overall length. With the business end covered in metal studs- or being made entirely of metal- tetsubo were generally unwieldy as 1-handed weapons.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend

This, and this:

Good write-up.

I'd say a baseball bat is a club. At 32oz & 42" in length a typical bat is about the same mass and length as a typical longsword.

And remember, people wield longswords 1 handed or 2 handed.

While that's true, the normal use of a baseball bat is 2-handed - although they clearly can be used 1-handed if need be. This puts them closer to the katana, which is effectively a masterwork bastard sword. So I think Neonagash's analogy is a good one.

Hahahaha. Seriously? Okay.

If someone broke into my house and I had a baseball bat, I could swing it in one hand. But I'll use two hands, because I'm probably not also carrying a shield.

It's a club. Like, that's basically exactly what a club is. The only thing that doesn't work is that Pathfinder provides no benefit for a sub-14-Str person using a one-handed weapon in two hands. You should get an extra point of damage, or a +1 to your attack roll, or something.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If someone broke into my house and I had a baseball bat, I could swing it in one hand. But I'll use two hands, because I'm probably not also carrying a shield.

It's a club. Like, that's basically exactly what a club is. The only thing that doesn't work is that Pathfinder provides no benefit for a sub-14-Str person using a one-handed weapon in two hands. You should get an extra point of damage, or a +1 to your attack roll, or something.

I wouldn't use a baseball bat with two hands against a burglar! That would 1) reduce the range of my bat, and 2) tie up my free hand from blocking or gouging eyes.

Pathfinder is within its rights to limit those sub-14-STR guys. What you gain in strength is offset by a loss of momentum.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads