• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would bonus to AC apply to a PCs items?

Dwarmaj

First Post
If a PC has a cover bonus (from a spell) and a deflection bonus from a spell, would those bonuses also apply to items that an opponant wants to sunder?

hong

WotC's bitch
Sundering doesn't involve AC at all. If you mean you want to attack a carried or worn object, the attack is against AC 10 + object size mod + Dex bonus. So the answer in both cases is no.

Which is kinda silly if you ask me, but you didn't, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
hong said:
Sundering doesn't involve AC at all. If you mean you want to attack a carried or worn object, the attack is against AC 10 + object size mod + Dex bonus. So the answer in both cases is no.

Which is kinda silly if you ask me, but you didn't, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Did they change that? I know that deflection bonuses factored into AC in 3.0. (I'm at work, without easy access to srd)

I think cover would apply in any case.

hong

WotC's bitch
Haven't checked the errata, but the 3.5 PHB states: "A carried or worn object's AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dex modifier of the carrying or worn character" [p.158].

Darklone

I'm with Caliban about cover and concealment... but hongs right about the AC mods... deflection and similar AC bonuses should not apply.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Yes, you are talking about AC, the objects AC.

Sundering a Carried or Worn Object: You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC.

And although they list the AC as only 10+size mod+dex mod, that's basically how they describe the AC of a person too.

A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character.

ARMOR CLASS

It’s the attack roll result that an opponent needs to achieve to hit you. Your AC is equal to the following:

10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier

Off course, armor and shield bonuses do not apply to object carried or worn.

Cover is one such bonus that applies because it doesn't improve you AC per say but rather the target of an attack.

COVER
To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

The same is true for an object with concealment.

Concealment Miss Chance: Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment.

The subject of the attack in both of the above cases being the object carried or worn therefore the bonus applies.

Deflection bonuses doesn't say that they do apply. I think they should but currently can't find a quote that would allow it in 3.5.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads